Interested in the A6000 long exposure/low ISO noise performance?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JonathanF2, Jun 11, 2015.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm thinking of picking up an A6000 for long exposure shooting, my only worry is that with the increased megapixels there will be more noise in the dark/shadow areas. My NEX-6 photos are relatively noise free at low ISO with long exposure. For those who shoot long exposure photos with the A6000, how do you like the results?

I also shoot with the Olympus E-M10 and the noise is noticeable even at base ISO in the same conditions (even with long exposure noise reduction set in the menu). Using the Olympus as a baseline and considering that the A6000 should have similar pixel density, is it worth the upgrade from my NEX-6 for this particular application?

Thanks for any opinions!

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Are you talking bout "hot pixels" or luminance noise? long exposure NR is for "hot pixels". This will vary by camera and sometimes get's worse with sensor age.
    I have shot many long exposures with the a6000 and have not had an issue, but everyone has their own standards.

201 seconds

15678257218_ffc0b672fe_h. A Seat With a View by Gary, on Flickr

8 + 16 + 25 seconds
    15353164627_4fa36b6539_h. Autumn by the Lake by Gary, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  3. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Hi Gary, I forgot to mention I like shooting long exposure at night and I guess that would be luminance noise in regards to the shadow areas. Have you shot night exposures with the A6000? Great shots BTW!

4. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks.
    My 5t has had the same sensor as your NEX 6 and in my opinion the luminance noise was the same as the a6000. As for the hot pixels. I used to have to run LNR with the 5t, but was OK without it on the a6000. Below is a night shot. It was noisy in the shadows but fixed (a little) in post

16552729033_379c831f95_b. Night Work by Gary, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  5. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    So you feel pretty comfortable in the shadow areas with the A6000 with night photography? Since I have no experience with the A6000, I just want to get an idea with what to expect if I pick one up. I'm posting two images that illustrate my point, one with the E-M10 and another with the NEX-6. Ideally I see the A6000 combining the best of each sensor into one body. Though, it could just be a difference in processing between two manufacturers, but if the A6000 sensor output is more like the NEX-6 I in terms of shadow noise, that would be ideal for me!

E-M10 (the clouds seems a bit splotchy to me):
    western_web.

NEX-6 (Smoother transitions in the shadow/cloud area):
    rails_web.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I can see the difference you mention, but It's not the same scene so it's hard to say why there is a difference. All I can say is that the a6000 by all scientific tests I have seen handles noise as well or better than the NEX 6. Additionally, you have more pixels (24mp) so downsizing to 16mp will certainly yield less noise than the NEX 6 at full res. When you are comparing to the EM10 to the NEX 6 you are comparing the same resolution just a bigger sensor so of course the larger sensor has an advantage.