1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Interest in "Topic" Threads?

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by ztryfe, Apr 29, 2015.

1. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Nick, what about promoting this kind of activities? Like a monthly topic for us all, to chime in, might showcase some folks work, and push over the comfort zone (fostering skill growth ) for others?

Documenting my Home Town
    Animals, pets and pests
    Urban Oasis (Im thinking of clam spots, in the midst of a town/city)
    etc....

Exactly this, but on a grand, collaborative and loosely coordinated scale

• Like Like x 2
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah Nick, how about it? :D

I know that they have regular challenges over in the Photo Lounge. But I don't think that everything in life should have winners and losers. If there was some way to just pass around the responsibility for choosing a subject, that would suit me better than a challenge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    we could randomly select a Subscribing member (possibly more likely to be active on the forum)(not trying to discriminate) to choose a Topic/Subject.

4. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, that would be one way of encouraging people to subscribe. :laugh:

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Speaking for myself, I won't enter in some sort of competition on a regular basis. I don't want to be confronted with losing out all the time against better photographers than me (too many of them around). Neither will I engage in some sort of scheme of updating on a project, too much pressure. A thing like "Pic of the day" doesn't really suit me but I post there nevertheless, on a very irregular basis. I'm happy as it is now: when I feel like it, I post and if not I'm silent and read what others do.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    We had some challenges in the past...
    The older (not in age) :D will remember member username nianys - she did one or two very nice challenges ;)
    I myself like the idea, but I think we took Ad's thread way off topic -sorry Ad

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Free time on my retiree's hands, thought I'd chime in. I love shooting, sharing, learning, growing in this hobby within the spirit of a general Forum like this...get some direct and/or indirect feedback to learn from, and keep moving forward.
    I may not understand what's being suggested above...but if I do...IMO...a problem(s) can exist in such a focused thread or section because it does infer sort of a competitive atmosphere yet there there are usually never any levels, or classes, or regulations to group like peoples efforts into.
    For example, there might be one post of an outstanding SOOC shot...then right on it's heels comes a post of an outstanding maximized post-processing 'photo-shopped' cut & paste artistic creation. Sort of an apples & oranges thing yet there would be the sense of comparing them as in a competition...so also speaking for myself, it wouldn't be anything I'd be interested in.
    Others mileage many vary of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ztryfe

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Risking derailing the thread more..... that's why I said "topics", to try to keep out the competitive infer of a "Challenge", my idea was born in this thread's topic, Documenting my home town, hey, that's something I could do! What about a monthly thread, with a certain technique or topic, where experienced and not so experienced folks chime in and help each other grow? We would have only winners that way.

Perhaps some basic rules on the Topic posts?

* SOOC or Post? if post, how?
    * Constructive criticism only

• Like Like x 1
  9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I see no reason why you can't start a thread on the topic of your choice, ztryfe, and invite others to join you in posting their images. This would avoid the competitive nature of a challenge, and you can even set your own rules. :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I think its an interesting idea, but would need to be implemented well if to be fair an accessible to all.

11. ztryfe

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Thanks for flexing your Mod muscle and branching this thread !

Then it becomes just a thread about pictures of some theme... not that I dont like setting rules :p

I was thinking of this as a board-wide focus, for a set time frame, that can make folks try something new with their photography and expand skills, with sensible and quick feedback on it.

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    "Competition" isn't always a bad thing IMHO. Especially when the (friendly) members of our (friendly) forum are competing in a friendly way :)
    Plus it'll motive some people to shoot more - speaking for myself now :D