1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Inspired by Eugene Smith

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by freddytto, Dec 21, 2012.

1. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    We stopped for a coffee at Starbucks with my little brother with me on this occasion, I sat in front of the large window facing the street and see people walking to the beat of the music from inside of the cafe.

A few days ago I had read about Eugene Smith,so between the 50′s to early 60′s, took over 40.000 photographs in his flower district loft at 821 6th Avenue. The “Jazz Loft” was the nightly gathering place of jazz greats and artists of the time.

Then I imagined how he could see all these great scenes from his window, became one of photography’s legendary figures, could said was, undeniably, one of the greatest photojournalists of world.

Personal Something to Like About Eugene Smith, is the passion for truth invariably places the integrity of the picture far above Such matters as monetary gain or staff safety, as a result of this dedication, he had many problems but Smith was a figure universally Admired as an artist.

These shots I made while enjoying my cappuccino, waiting for the right time to capture it with my camera, like a leopard waiting for a gazelle.

8296114924_4dfd1a8f75_c.
    Untitled by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

8295065107_e05d60e25f_c.

8295061565_93c45ff9d0_c.

8296115144_84b2d07fd3_c.

8295059183_32578d9186_c.

8295056745_760539833c_c.
    Modeling by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

8295057901_e12b79dd2e_c.
    Taxi¡¡¡¡ by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Great work!!

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1 ;)

Looks like the men in No.1 and No.4 figured you were taking a photo of them, lol :D

4. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Haha, great analogy!

And of course, great photos. I have not seen much of Eugene's work, but from what I've seen you serve him well.

5. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Terrific set of images! Gene Smith, to me, was and is, one of the greatest photographers ever. His persistence to capture the right image and reproduce it in the darkroom is legendary. Whenever I want to be reminded of near perfection I open one of his books.
    You just may have done him justice with these. Beautiful processing by the way. What, if you don’t mind my asking, is your the secrete in your processing?
    Bruce

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    always shot in Raw , use Silver Efex Pro 2, and there you have many preset to play, there are different types of film, and you can even customize them, in this case most of my effects are modeled like kodak

7. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Excellent stuff. I also dig your processing :)

8. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
    great shots, freddytto!