Inserting a image

jimmoore

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Help required from the masters. I have a photo of Lanercost Priory and I want to insert a ghost like figure into it, what program would do this for me. It’s a one off so would have to be cheep. The Ghost would be a photo of a figurine that I have at home.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I would think any photo editing program that allows you to layer images and then adjust their opacity would do the trick, and I’m guessing that there are free ones out there that are up to the task. I’m afraid I have no recommendations, as I’m locked into Adobe’s subscription money pit. But perhaps a quick search for a “free photo editor” would yield some worth trying.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
You can download Gimp. It's free, loaded with capabilities like Photoshop. It's not immediately intuitive, nor is Photoshop. But there is a huge following and you can find tutorials on youtube.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I use GIMP for my everyday post-processing, but I am still on the lower rungs of the learning curve (to massacre a metaphor or two). You'd need to use masking and layers to achieve this, as @WoodWorks says. You could probably achieve as good a result as with any paid software.

Alternatively, give your model more to cover the traveling expenses. Except... ghosts really don't like traveling!

jimmoore

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank one and all,

I assumed I would have to have a some special software to do this.

I use Capture one this has layers, but can’t see how to insert a different image onto a layer.

But have found a very old copy of photoshop elements this does allow cut and paste from one picture to another, so will give this a try. Have had a quick look ad Gimp as well, this may take a bit longer. Will post results if half decent.

Thanks again .

Jim

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
You can't composite images with Capture One, as far as I know. I've been wishing they would do this for some time, as there are a lot of other functions this could also make possible (blending, focus stacking, etc.).

jimmoore

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Thats my problem.
After some playing with Gimp it can obviously do what I require, it’s just a question of me learning how

jimmoore

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
First try
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
It's looking good. The edged are not horribly obvious, which is the thing I find so hard about adding one image to another. Having said that, as an artistic suggestions, I wonder if stronger feathering, almost slight blurring, of her edges might make her look more ghostly?

jimmoore

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the suggestion, as this is my first try I am pleased that it has gone this, but will try softening the edges it I can discover how it’s done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom