1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Initial shots

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Phoenix, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I finally have some time to play around with my new toy and decided to go to the local park to take some shots. My main concern was the magenta colour shift problem that the NEX-7 has when used with symetrical retro-focus wide angled lenses since I shoot with an adapted lens. I shoot almost exclusively in B&W and I am aware of tools such as cornerfix but I wanted to test it out anyway.

As far as my test shots go, the magenta colour shift is non-existent with some of my shots and very minimal to others. Based on the images I wont be needing cornerfix as I can just very slightly reduce the magenta saturation via the white balance menu or I can just leave it as is since it doesnt bother me (I shoot b/w most of the time anyways :p).

DSC00346.

DSC00360.

DSC00388.

I just took 1 b/w this time as there will be plenty of time to take b/w images later :p

DSC00349.

2. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    No major problems there!! Thanks for taking the time to do a
    short test with all that's on your plate!

3. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    No worries dude, it's all good :D

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    You timed that first shot to perfection!

5. soundfanz

soundfanz TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2011
    Nice shots Phoenix. Enjoy the new toy. :)

6. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Thanks all. I'll post more images when I can.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hmmmm… vignetting in that second shot would seem to be more of a problem than color shift. Assuming the vignette bothers you, which it may not, especially if you shoot mostly B&W.

8. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Yeah, there's slight vignetting on the VC if you don't switch on the lens correction: shading (off on the 2nd pic). I just tend to switch all of it off since I shoot b/w most of the time. The b/w image has all lens correction options switched off, which to me (unless I pixel peep) is very close to the results I got with the 5 :p

9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nice shots - especially the last, nice dof. The first one seems to have some CA, the second one has some vignetting, but nothing too bad. Did you use your 35mm f/1.2 CV for these shots? I think the magenta color shift is just really bad with super wide angles like the CV 12mm f/5.6 or even a 28mm Ultron.

10. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I did use the 35mm 1.2, I wanted to see the result if I don't use any of the camera's in built lens correction system. for the first image I switched off the lens correction for CA, switched off the vignetting for the second one, and switched off barrel distortion for the third one (not the best image to test BA, I might have to re do it). All in all I'm quite content with the result, I hardly pixel peep this much, but since it's a new addition to my gear and considering how infamous the magenta colour shift problem has become I needed to see for myself.

After a couple of shots I'll have to say that I am quite happy and content with the performance, I will admit that it is a bit pricey but imho it's worth the money (finally I can start buying lunch again :p), there are a couple of minor items that I feel that they could have done better but it's nothing that I can't live with or something that could be addressed in a firmware upgrade.

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That first one is a great moment in time.