1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Infrared options on e-mount?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nighttrain, May 30, 2016.

1. nighttrain

nighttrain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 9, 2014
    I have an R72 filter that I'd like to start experimenting with, but don't want to convert my a6000. Are there any NEX or other e-mount models that don't require conversion? Thanks.

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I'll offer my view after having gotten into Infrared and that is that it's normally an "either / or" situation.
    "Either" use filters on the front of a lens, "or" have a camera body converted.

Removable filters are the least costly / non-permanent option...however, the bad news is most everything written on the Internet suggests that approach is slow, cumbersome, requires long exposures, requires a tripod, can't really 'see' what you're about to shoot, etc.

Converting a camera body is a more costly / semi-permanent option, however, the good news is the camera still functions like it always did, shots are as instantaneous as they always were, not tied to a tripod, and the "live view" capability of most digital bodies lets you 'see' what your IR image is going to look like.

Based on my research, I went the route of having an NEX-7 camera body converted by LifePixel and have enjoyed learning about Infrared a lot.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2