Inexpensive method for larger monitor on a6300/a6500

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by slothead, May 3, 2017.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    The little a6300/6500 LCD monitor is pretty small for framing and composition, and I can't afford the typical Ninja 7" recorder/monitor. I think I will be fine with the SD card for recording, but how can I find a cheap alternative that uses the HDMI (or otherwise) and doesn't interfere with the video operation of the Sony camera?

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Have you attempted to stream to a large smartphone or 7 inch tablet via wifi? The Playmemories Remote App IIRC, also does video.
    You can get a hotshoe-to-1/4" adapter and mount a smartphone clamp.

3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    As I recall Will (and I could be remembering wrong or it could have changed from my other cameras) but when operating in PlayMemories, all control is assigned to the remote device and you can't control the camera from its own screen or controls. I was thinking that if I just picked the HDMI output off the camera, I could still do whatever I wanted in controlling the camera from its own controls.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I see, I remember glancing a video review on youtube about a $50 monitor for such a situation.

5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I just happened to be looking into this myself. Depending on what you want use the monitor for, including whether it is for vlogging yourself, shooting video with some sort of rig, or just general photo and video use, there are a number of small "video monitors" out there that can accept an HDMI input.
    Here's a link to a listing at Adorama: Video Monitors | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama

The most feature/price competitive seem to be in the 7" size range. I've seen good reviews online and on YouTUbe for the Feelworld 7" monitors (FW759, FW760, and F7) ranging in price from $139 to $199 depending on things like panel resolution and whether it accepts 4K input (the latter of which might be important for the A6300/A6500).

I've seen some of these monitors reviewed at DSLR Video Shooter - Video Production for Everyone , including a $50 one (that might be the one Will @WNG@WNG mentioned). The $50 one was actually a "security/CCTV monitor" adapted for use to a DSLR/mirrorless camera use.

Oh, and I did see that SmallHD showed a new 5" monitor, the SmallHD Focus, at NAB last week. Max Yuryev (and others) looked at it.

(P.S. - Can you tell I've spent WAY too much time watching camera-related YouTube videos lately?)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks Steve, this will be handy! However I already went to see the 5" monitor on SmallHD and at $2500 I don't think I'm in that market (but thanks for pointing it out anyway)!

7. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I did notice that some of the SmallHD and other brands of monitors can run up high in price. But I don't think that new SmallHD Focus 5" is actually going to be way up at US$2500 when it ships, which isn't until next month. It's not on Adorama yet. At the SmallHD website, I saw it listed to be $499 for shipping in June. SmallHD FOCUS | 5-inch micro HDMI touchscreen monitor | Behind the Screens

$500 is still a little high for my budget, and the $139-$199 7" Feelworld monitors are more in line with the price I'm willing to shell out for amateur use (though maybe a little too big on an A6000).

8. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I've been looking for one as well. i've seen loads of dfferent models but never had a chance to mess with any of them in person. Hard to judge quality based on online reviews only THIS only $419 and avail now

But that Focus touchscreen monitor looks pretty awesome as well, maybe i'll get in on the pre-order if they come out soon

9. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Matt, is $419 really within your acceptable range? For me that is borderline at best as the monitor doesn't serve that much of a purpose in my book. I laid out not much more than that for the camera (a6500 - because I sold my a6300) and was trying to keep my budget down (which is a first for me). If I wasn't trying to operate on a shoestring, I'd go for that, but the $100 - $200 monitors look a whole lot more inviting financially.

10. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    If there is anything i've learned when it comes to purchasing photography equipment, (i'm sure you have too) you get what you pay for. When I weigh the decision to purchase this product or not I ask myself:

Under what use case scenario will I use this product?
    How often will I use the product and under what load (heavy load used all day, occasional load used once or twice a week)

If my use case has me using the product often and under heavy load, i'll opt for the more expensive, quality product.
    If my use case is the opposite, i'll search for inexpensive alternatives, refrain from holding my breath, and lower my expectations.

I got a good bit of use out of a 15$ cable and an old HDMI 1080 monitor I have laying around. Made a little studio set up for my nex5r, haven't had the chance to play with my a6500 on it yet but i'll give it ago. The more expensive touch screen monitor for outdoor use seems like something I would get a fair amount of use out of. If I make a decision and purchase something i'll be sure to update this thread with my findings.

• Like Like x 1
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
  12. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    I'm not sure touch screen control but PlayMemories remote app let me change settings from camera using dials in my experience. Make sure to tun off Bluetooth on iPhone/iPad