• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Inexpensive Macro Solution for NEX5

Simon Schofield

New to TalkEmount
Can anyone recommend any fairly inexpensive lenses that i could use via the E mount adapter to do macro work on my NEX 5. Something that works with AF would be nice, but not completely essential, i can handle manual focus. also, the smaller the physical lens size, the better. From what I've heard, the SEL30M35 is a bit slow and requires a very close operating distance to achieve a decent result...

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
I don't do macro photography so take my suggestions with a grain of salt but if I was going to buy a macro lens I would probably adapt a Nikon 55mm 3.5. Sure it is manual focus and will be a bit large on the NEX, but it is a superb lens, it is extremely sharp, and it will give you a good working distance. With the additional purchase of an adapter you could probably be up and going for less than $200.

markoneswift

TalkEmount Veteran
Get an old manual lens ( the wider, the better ) such as a Canon FD F/2.8 28mm and hold it reversed onto the NEX body and you can do this :-

8108351554_00f31656e9.jpg
   ---            

Wasp Through Glass by markoneswift, on Flickr

cost of that lens was £25

Alternatively, get an adapter such as NEX / FD, and a cheap 70-210 that does macro and do this :-

8063597662_78951333b4.jpg
   ---            

Spider Macro - Watching, Waiting by markoneswift, on Flickr

that one was £20 for the lens ( Canon FD 70-210 F/4.0 macro ) on a £10 adapter

You can also reverse the 28mm lens onto the end of the 70-210 lens and do this :-

8012637889_f60343d451.jpg
   ---            

Bug Eyed by markoneswift, on Flickr

that's a rubbish shot, but gives an idea of the magnification possible with a lens setup that cost ( 20+25+10 )=£55.

These shots were also taken using a combination of holding various lenses onto the body or onto other lenses, as I dont own any proper reversing rings.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
ReversingRings.png
   ---            

I was going to buy a reversing ring (49mm filter screw to Nex) but then I realized not all my lenses have that filter thread size. For the small amount of macro pics that I do, it didn't occur to me that I can just hold the reversed lens momentarily over the body. Thanks for the tip!

That's excellent macro work there, markoneswift... I'd we in awe if those were hand-held?!

markoneswift

TalkEmount Veteran
ReversingRings.png
   ---            

That's excellent macro work there, markoneswift... I'd we in awe if those were hand-held?!

Thank you very much - they are indeed all hand held. The reversed lenses are held against either the camera body or against the end of another lens and the whole assembly is shot hand held using only available light, no fancy ring flash or anything.

markoneswift

TalkEmount Veteran
Also, if you want to reverse a Canon FD lens like I do, you will need some way of 'activating' the aperture control. What I did was to modify an FD rear cap so that the cap turns further than standard and thus activates the aperture control ring. I cut a hole in the end of the cap too, and I use a small piece of paper to hold the aperture lever in the 'open' position. This way, I can stop the lens down to maximise depth of field

Latest threads

Top Bottom