Inexpensive, light flash for Nex 6 ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Amamba, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Playing with my newly purchased LA-EA2 and Sigma 12-24 in Sony A-mount, I very quickly realized that Sigma is too slow to use indoors without a flash, and the built in flash sits too low for using in direct mode with this lens. (Bounce doesn't always work for a given situation).

I still have my add-on flash for F3, but it can't be attached to Nex 6. It would've been perfect otherwise.

Can anyone recommend a cheap (since it is going to be rarely used) and light flash for Nex 6 ? Must be able to bounce it.

Or, perhaps there's a way to mount the Sony F3 flash on Nex 6 ?
  2. On to the NEX

On to the NEX TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    Yongnuo 560 or the 460.

It's a bit big and heavy, but you can use them in slave mode by using your built in flash to trigger them, or use remote triggers.

Be aware that this is a manual flash only, so no ttl, but it compares to the Canon/Nikon offerings at a fraction of the price.
  3. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks, big and heavy are the exact opposites of what I am looking for...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free
  4. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    I have a cheap and small cy-20 from eBay less that 10 pounds and only takes 2 aa batteries, nice and small, can rotate up too but no swivel. Great for ceiling bounced flash at f5 or so. No ability to adjust power but versatile enough to get the job done
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks, this may just be the solution. I'll check it out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free
  6. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are surprisingly few flash choices for Sony new flash shoe (that is, support with TTL). Metz 20 offers thyristor control and is small. Metz 24 offers TTL for Sony but it is only available with Sony old shoe so you need adapter. MEIKE MK-300 does not have swivel nor bounce but may work in manual mode (there are Canon and Nikon models but not Sony).

Another surprising thing is lack of adjustable manual small flashes and almost no thyristor control flashes any more (thyristor control disrupts the flash when enough light is reflected from subject).
  8. Red Bull 2013

Red Bull 2013 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 21, 2013
    I like Yongnuo 460 II. Sun seems super OK. Maybe it's a little more but he knows quite a lot and it's new / at a very good price. I will buy one + RF603 triggers. If anyone knows a better solution, say ...
    Here's a picture taken with his light side. The flash was triggered by sympathy / to flash your device. DSC03190-2.
  9. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    BTW, as posted in another thread, the solution was an older Minolta 3600HSD flash with ADP-MAA adapter. That flash is relatively light, allows high speed sync all the way to 1/4000, and so far seems to work wonderfully.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk