Inexpensive flash for macro photography using an a6000

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ytthirteenhundred, Nov 29, 2014.

1. ytthirteenhundred

ytthirteenhundred TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    Greetings, I am looking for a relatively inexpensive flash for my a6000. I use my flash almost entirely for macro nature photography (18-55mm lens with either a 4x or 10x pancake macro). The problem is that when using the pancake macros, the lens is so close to my subject that the built in flash creates a shadow in the bottom left corner. So, I need some sort of additional flash, but I know very little about them and the number of options out there is bewildering. I don't need anything fancy, I just want something that will work without causing the shadow, will fit my a6000 without purchasing extra expensive adapters, is easy and straightforward to us, and won't completely empty my bank account. Any suggestions? I have looked at several ring flashes, does anyone have experience with those? Also, would they work with my pancake macros attached?
    Thanks for the help

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have Viltrox jy-670. I hope it will see some use next spring. I try to find time to test a small ttl flash too.

There are lots of diy solutions there. Manual flashes are very cheap and simple diffusers may be the thing for you.

3. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
  4. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    I have actually built something similar for my camera, and it helps, but its kind of finicky and that pesky shadow is often still there. So I think getting some sort of external flash is probably the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    I've spent a lot of time today looking at flashes, and I'm really leaning towards getting a secondary flash that can be used wirelessly. I'm not really concerned about TTL, but I don't want it to be a typical slave (I am a biologist, and there are often several of us trying to photograph a specimen at the same time, and I don't want my slave going off every time someone else is trying to take a picture). Everything I have been reading has been giving me really mixed signals about what wireless flashes will work for the a6000. Is anyone using a wireless flash that they would recommend (again, I'm fine with it being manual)? Some sites have been praising the Nissin i40 and YN560III, but others have been saying that they won't work with the a6000. Also, I should point out that size is an issue for me because I have a lot of gear that I have to carry into the field, so something compact is definitely preferred. Thanks again.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    i40 is a TTL flash but not terribly big. YN560 III works ok with my Nex-7 (with flash shoe adapter) and build in wireless receiver is really nice bonus.

I40 is quite small and weights 203 g. YN-560II is bigger and weighs 350 g. i40 and ttl-cord might be pretty nice combination. i40 has got the new Sony flash shoe as standard.

If specimens are small (parts of flower or small insects) dedicated macro flash is a bonus.

7. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    Which adapter do you use for the YN560 III, and do you know if the built in wireless would also work for the a6000?

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Buy a cheap Yongnuo flash and one of Yongnuos wireless triggers with receiver. This setup will give you a powerful external flash that works via radio (i.e. much better than your typical eTTL / servo flash). Also, Yongnuo flashes are said to be pretty reliable and incredibly cheap.

9. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    Poki, do you happen to know a specific model that will work for the a6000? I've looked at Yongnuos flashes, and they look great, but some websites have been reporting problems getting them to work on the a6000, and I haven't been able to figure out which model will definitely work for it.

10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'm not sure about TTL, there always seem to be some possible problems. But there triggers should work - there's not much communication needed just to trigger a flash, after all. Just look for official compatibility and you should be fine.

11. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    Would a Yongnuos trigger and receiver fire a Nissin i40? I realize I would loose TTL, but that's not important to me. I'm not happy about the prize of the i40, but the size is perfect for what I do. Also, if the Yongnuos trigger would fire it, any idea what the max synch speed would be? Thanks for the advice.

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Nex-7 has got the old Minolta flash shoe and I use a cheap adapter between camera and flash transmitter. These flash transmitters are brand specific except that some flashes copy Sony wireless system to some degree so Youngnuo triggers won't with Nissin flashes.

I have several flash trigger systems (started with cheap 433 MHz units, moved to Allacax system [they work with Nex-C3], tried Youngnuo RF-602 but didn't like it and now use Youngnuo RF-603 mk II) and Youngnuo RF-602 mk II+Youngnuo YN-560 III and Youngnuo TX-560 work very well.

Remember that only YN-560 III and YN-560 IV have internal flash trigger built in. With other flashes you need to use external receiver (RF-603 mk II will work as a receiver or transmitter and work with Sony bodies, mk I did need a modification). TX-560 is transmitter only but it allows remote power adjustment of YN-560 III and IV.

13. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    Thanks for the info, that's really helpful. Do you know if I am correct that the a pair of RF603 mk II (one as a transmitter, one as a receiver) would allow my a6000 to fire a Nissin i40? (obviously I'd lose TTL).

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think so. I will order a pair of rf-603 mk II after Christmas to be used with other manual flashes. RF-603 mk II uses AAA batteries (you can get them everywhere) and transceiver design allows you to carry just one spare in case of failure.

Unfortunately there are no small manual flashes with power adjustment on market, they could be used for macro and on camera work in many cases.