1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Industar 61 L/D lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by -et-, Mar 5, 2013.

1. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Here are images taken yesterday using a Russian Industar 61 L/D lens on my NEX-6. This is a 55mm f:2.8 rangefinder lens that I have had for many years, although I have to admit that I have not used it since I started shooting digital and my use of film dropped to a fraction of the previous value. It produced surprisingly sharp images on film when used on the FED camera with which it was purchased - and also when used on the Leica of a friend - so I decided to try it out on the NEX.

The first image is a portrait mode shot of some of the playground equipment on which my 4 year-old grandson was playing for several hours yesterday. The second image is a landscape mode shot of him arriving at the bottom of the slide, with the image cropped from a 2x3 ratio to a 4x5 ratio to get better composition. The third image is a cropped 100% blow-up (pixel peeping) of part of the second image.

FWIW, the "L/D" in the lens name supposedly reflects the use of low dispersion glass in this version of the Industar 61 lens.

Aiden_3 March-1.

Aiden_3 March-2.

Aiden_3 March-3.

- Tom -

• Like Like x 1
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that I am getting one of these some day. It makes quite a small package with nex and performance is quite good.

They used lanthanium to make low dispersion glass those days.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Some of these old Russian lenses can really take a nice pic. Freddy has a Industar 69 (28mm) that seems to work pretty well. Dioptrick has a 61 I think & seems happy with it.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Mine doesn't appear to be as sharp nor as contrasty as yours. But I can't help but like the lens anyway.

8532270828_0098aacde6_c.
    Bloomsbury.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

8531161157_f368255f01_b.
    Cyrus.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

8532271190_cf84452077_c.
    Bounty.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

It's just such a great-looking lens. Makes me chuckle every time I snap it on the NEX.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I think that I won the Russian Quality Control lottery when I got my copy of this lens. I have a couple of copies of the non-L/D version of the Industar 61 and a copy of the Industar 26 - which is a predecessor to the I-61. All are capable of producing decent images - at least on film - but none of them approach the sharpness of the results I have had on film with the I-61 L/D.

The high contrast of the images I posted above may have been partially due to the lighting. It was a bright sunny day with almost no clouds in the sky, and I was continually worrying about the range between the highlights and the shadows.

It's interesting to see the photo of your I-61 L/D. I have one copy of a "regular" I-61 that looks very similar, but my copy of the I-61 L/D looks very different from yours. It is all black except for very slender "chrome" front edges on each of the rings, and the numbers are also different. The f-stop values on the forward ring are white and the numbers on the other two rings are orange. I think that it looks very good on the NEX, and the performance when I used it Sunday on the NEX for the first time was quite acceptable.

- Tom -

6. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    To supplement my written description, here are a couple of photos of the Industar 61 L/D lens installed on my NEX-6

Industar 61 LD-1.

Industar 61 LD-2.

- Tom -

7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think yours has a much more "sophisticated" look, wouldn't you agree, Tom? Sort of a Dmitry Medvedev to my Boris Yeltsin. :p

But since this is a sample archive, here are a couple more from this morning's walk. Both shot wide open:

8537538762_afe2834500_b.
    Morning Crocus.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

8537538976_fdd57a40a8_c.
    Slippery When Wet.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

8. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I think that I would probably say "subtle" rather than "sophisticated", but for me the appearance of the lens itself is very secondary to the performance.

From the samples you have posted, I think that would be happy with your version of the I-61 L/D.

- Tom -

9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oh, I'm very fond of it. Can't say I think too much of its funky bokeh, but it certainly has character.

10. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    By the way, the SLR version of this lens (Industar-61 L/Z) is a decent macro lens. I suspect I-61 L/D will perform well on a helicoid-equipped adapter for close focusing.

11. Cinders

Cinders TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    I have this lens too, been using it on a Fuji XE-1 until I sold that, now I'm just waiting for my LTM to NEX adapter to arrive. But when I used it on the Fuji, it seemed sharp, but the contrast was quite low, and made all the images just seem flat. Maybe it'll do better on the nex, or I'll do some more PP on it. I want it to be good, it's such a tiny package.

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Here is my contribution to this thread.

DSC00044_zpsbe9a88ae.
    Something 5.6 1/160 Nex 7 internal flash and slave with lambency.

DSC00044c_zps0b13a4d1.
    100% crop of above

DSC00046_zps666f3d34.
    2.8 with tripod

DSC00046c_zpsad3e9b2f.
    100% crop of above

DSC00049_zps9deb47e0.
    8.0 with tripod

DSC00049c_zps5f801c6d.
    100% crop of above

I think that results are very good for a 17 Euro lens. Besides lens is very small and light weight. I think I will get 2-3 more of this lens as they can be had very cheap.

13. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    recent shot with the "LZ", hand held......

17004235898_95b2933e62_b.
    Sony A7R & Industar 69 LZ

• Like Like x 2