1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Incredible amount of file size reduction by Photobucket

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Oct 18, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    In shooting JPEGs and using Photobucket as a hosting site, I've found that their fairly recent editor ( Aviary ) is better than anything I've tried so far on JPEGs.
    And after using Photobucket's editor and saving the edited images back down to my PC, I sometimes upload / submit a batch of images to Shutterfly for 8x10 enlargements when they run their periodic 40% sales.

But then I began noticing something odd during the past few months.
    During the ordering process at Shutterfly, I'd occasionally get a warning message to the effect that such-and-such enlargement may have some pixelation due to low resolution and it's better suited at 5x7, etc.

To make a long story short, it seems the Aviary editor at Photobucket saves the images at some astoundingly incredible reduced size...and here's a typical example from a test I just ran:

An image size SOOC was 7,712 KB.
    Uploaded the 7,712 KB image to Photobucket.
    Opened it Photobucket's editor (Aviary).
    Then clicked save without doing anything to the image at all.
    The Photobucket saved image file size was then only 388 KB.

Is my assumption correct...that this incredible amount of size reduction is what's causing the "low resolution" message at Shutterfly ?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That would be my guess, roundball. But it's good to keep in mind that file size and resolution are two entirely different things. When printing, the two things to be aware of are the pixel dimensions of the image, and dots per inch (dpi) of the final output, not so much the size of the file in KB. The file size is usually most affected by the amount of compression applied rather than by the image's pixel dimensions.

In the case you described, it sounds like what you're sending to Shutterfly is both heavily compressed, and reduced in physical dimensions. But without having a look at a copy of one of those files, I'm only guessing.

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks...
    And checking just now, pixel sizes are also dramatically different:
    The original 7,712KB file pixels were 6000x4000
    The 388 KB file is only 800x533

4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I haven't used my Photobucket account in a while, but I seem to recall that it would resize (and noticeably soften) any image that was uploaded larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side.

5. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    So why not use flickr? You can upload and download full resolution. I've got insanely high resolution film scans on there.

Also the interface is better. It also has an online editor. Really well executed apps for mobile. It has autoupload (private). Basically unlimited storage. It really is better in literally every single way?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I've joined Flickr and am getting a feel for it...it also uses the Aviary editor like PB, except that it's an older down level version...been checking / assuming they'd be upgrading to the latest version (much more function)...be interesting to see if the latest version is whats causing the downsizing or if that was just the way Photobucket set it up.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just ran a Flickr Upload/Edit/Save/Download size test and saw that Flickr pops up a whole list of sizes to chose from / save as / download as...selected the 'large' size and saved it / downloaded it to my Laptop...saw the much larger size & pixel count.

Then uploaded it to Shutterfly, went through the preparation steps as if I was going to have an enlargement made, and got no warning message about low resolution.

So no question that's a big plus over Photobucket...and I never saw that save-as / download option at Photobucket over all the years & editor versions I've used there so I assume that feature is part of Flicker's software...or maybe its an option of the Aviary editor and that's just the way Flickr implements it, dunno.

I do wish Flickr would upgrade to the new version of Aviary for the extra PP features the latest version has, but meanwhile I'm going to start using Flickr now anyway and get into the work flow routine, see how things turn out.

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Flickr is still the stronger option. And with 3rd party app support. I like the immediate upload from smartphone option too.
    Most important is the original size retrieval.

Curious, as to why you aren't editing your JPGs or saving your RAWs to JPGs on Lightroom, instead of the current method you've adopted?
    You will get the best possible results if edited on your mac/PC/laptop, then send the resulting files for prints.

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    So far, I like the simplicity of taking photos and then just making a couple quick tweaks on JPEGs vs. a whole after-the-fact technical undertaking with RAW and Lightroom.
    And speaking of Lightroom, I was never satisfied with its results on JPEGs...and other than using it for the rare purple de fringing from a certain lens, I don't use LR at all.get good results that more time consuming than the photography hobby itself.

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    So far, I like the simplicity of "taking" photos and then just making a couple quick tweaks on JPEGs vs. a whole after-the-fact technical undertaking with RAW and Lightroom.
    And speaking of Lightroom, I was never satisfied with its results on JPEGs...other than using it for the rare purple defringing from a certain lens, I quit using LR months ago.
    Maybe in the future I'll want to have something new to learn and try RAW + Lightroom, but right now am not looking for a solution in search of a problem.

11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I see. I also utilize my JPGs from the a6000 mostly. For the most part, they are excellent. Except for low ligiht and high ISO shots. That's when the compression settings show too much noise. RAWs to the rescue!

Don't recall if you're a Mac or PC user. If you're on Windows, there are some very good freeware photo editors. I used to run Picasa, which is pretty good. Now, I prefer Faststone Image Viewer, which has some great tools, and runs a bit quicker. Paint.net is also a very good freeware editor.
    But Faststone is my recommendation. It can handle nearly all my tasks before uploading to flickr. Editing on your monitor at full resolution is better than the shrunken image on the browser too!

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    PC / Windows / 15" laptop...I've also downloaded Faststone...need to spend some time with it and learn what it can do, thanks for the reminder

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Uploaded a few photos to Flickr, went to use their Aviary Editor and the "sharpening" slider doesn't work...tried multiple image uploads, nada...other editing features work fine such as brightness, contrast, etc...but not sharpening.

Flickr uses the same Aviary Editor as Photobucket (just a down-level version)...which I used for 100's of photos at Photobucket before this year's Aviary version upgrade at Photobucket.
    (and there was no operational change with the 'sharpening slider' from one version to the next anyway...works identically the same in both versions).

14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I understand why you don't want to learn how to develop raw photos, roundball. Even though you'd see a significant improvement in your final results, learning how to use new tools well takes time and effort. I get that. But why then use a half-baked online photo editor to edit your jpegs when a PC-based editor would be quicker, simpler, take less time, and achieve a better result? That I don't get. :hmmm:

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    All things in due time :)

16. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Just tried the Aviary sharpen tool. It seemed to have worked for me. I selected 'replace'.

Bear in mind: One thing bad about flickr....and I'm a pretty vocal critic of this, is that flickr seems to 'update' the interface haphazardly. Fixing some bugs, but introducing new ones. Also breaking some features. Presently, the activity feed page and the main viewing page seem to be very laggy.
    From what I can surmise, they are embedding most of the actions to be run within the browser or some javascript. Instead of external html requests. I've noticed it can be 2-5 sec. refreshing the page!! Resource leakage too. So, this latest update is heading in the wrong direction.
    This is happening with the Firefox browser.

17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I just tested it again and figured out what Flickr is doing differently with the 'Sharpening Slider'...and I assume its a bug as its far less efficient to work the way they have it set up...in fact I highly doubt Aviary would even allow a developer option to set it up the way Flickr did...has to be a bug.

Normally, the sliders in Aviary show changes to the image you're working on in real-time...press the slider button down and slide it back and forth, watch the image change, etc. In Flickr that works as it normally should with the other sliders like Brightness, Contrast, etc...but not so with 'Sharpening'...I had to move the Sharpening slider some...then release the button to see the change occur...then press the button and move the slider again, etc, etc...PITA.

I've tried to get Aviary to sell me a stand-alone PC version like the online version installed at Photobucket but multiple Emails requesting that always get the same answer back: A polite, "that's not in our marketing plan" sort of answer.
    The unspoken real reason of course is they've got a winner, Adobe knows it, Aviary is now under contract with Adobe Cloud, and Adobe wants everybody to be paying open-ended monthly cloud fees forever.

18. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    A few download sites seem to list a freeware copy of Aviary for Windows. albeit Win8. But one site claimed Win7. Assuming this must be an earlier version. Perhaps it's worth a try?

19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks, but already chased all those down...dead ends...even discussed them with Aviary Customer Service.

20. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, and people in hell want ice water. :laugh:

In mean time, both Lightroom and Photoshop Elements can be purchased as stand-alone products.

• Funny Funny x 1