1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

incident vs reflectred light.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alaios, Jul 14, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    is there any difference between those two? I have an application in my smartphone that says that measures both but I really do not understand which their difference

Regards
    Alex

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, I don't know what the app does. In theory, incident light simply is light which hits the surface, while reflected light is light which gets reflected from a surface. What is the app supposed to do? Could you post a screenshot? Maybe we can come to a definitive answer this way.

3. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Reflected light is looking at your subject or apart of it to measure the light it reflects. camera meters and spotmeters are all reflected light measuring devices

Incident light is measuring the light that falls on your subject. Therefore in this mode, you stand close to your subject and aim the meter ( or smartphone lens in this case) towards the camera position you intend to use for the picture. This is actually more accurate than any camera brains since it is normally used with a spherical diffuser and is not influenced by subject color or brightness ( black versus white clothes for example that would get your camera to overexpose for the black dress since it is seeing little light or underexpose for a white dress or strong backlight that would fool your camera's meter in thinking there is a lot of light )

• Like Like x 1
  4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thanks michelb for that explanation. I don't use any external meters, but it's always great to learn something.