1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Inaccurate Level Peaking?!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jaf-Photo, May 30, 2013.

1. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Hello :)

Does anyone experience that using level peaking to focus manual lenses provides inconsistent or inacurate results?

On my NEX-7 it works just fine sometimes but it's horribly off sometimes. Especially at medium range, I find it's almost better to use the distance markings on the lens than relying on level peaking.

I think it's a bit sad because the abiliy to use level peaking with manual lenses was one of the main selling points when I got the NEX.

On my Samsung NX11, the pixels that are in focus will actually start to crawl on the screen, which is subtler but more reliable.

I don't regret getting a NEX, but perhaps someone has had the same issue and has a good work-around?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I find that for anything other than the low setting I need to use magnification to refine the focus. It is worse with longer focal lengths/shallower DOF. The inherent contrast of the lens makes a big difference as well.

Sometimes changing the Creative Style to B&W (if you're shooting RAW) helps as well. Some users have turned down the contrast setting in Creative Styles as well.

Peaking work really well, but since it's looking for cantrasting edges it will show all the contrasting edges within the DOF, some of which may not be what you want to be in focus.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I usually find myself scrubbing back and forth when using peaking. I have to find the "peak" peak, so to speak, before I can be sure of nailing the focus.

4. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Thanks, I'll work a bit with the low setting and see how that turns out. For some reason the B&W method seems to confuse me more.

5. GaryR60

GaryR60 TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2013
    Seattle
    Yes! Which is why I don't use it, preferring to focus by eye, instead.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have not had it fail entirely.

I have had it set too heavy, too soft, and a hard to read color though.

7. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. For me it's still hit and miss so I tend to use magnify more, which is sooo slow...