1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

In the classroom

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by ChangshaNotes, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Some of my college students taken with the SEL 50mm F1.8 on a 5N

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. korn_2956

korn_2956 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    I really like the first one

3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Awesome - Up close and personal

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Great shots Colin.

Any user impressions you could give us regarding the SEL50 f1.8 ?

5. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    I like the first one best also. Great sharpness and black and white conversion.

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The first one is just stunning. WOW.

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Oh, I really like the 3rd one as well.

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    +1, wow it's beautiful.....

9. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    friend very nice pictures, thanks for sharing, the first photo is beautiful, this lens is amazing for portraits, I'm tempted to buy it, the bad thing is my pocket is empty... lol

I hope Santa brings me this for Christmas ....: P

10. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Thank you for all the encouragement.

Dioptrick, I'd like to help others with impressions of the SEL 50mm F 1.8, but I don't really know anything in order to make comparisons.

I'll try to make some comments, but bear in mind, that other than an iPhone, this is my first camera and I'm just learning about not only how to use the NEX 5N and lenses but photography in general.

I have the 18-55mm kit lens but barely use it anymore. Obviously the 50mm F1.8 is considered a better lens but I also seem to be able to capture what I'm seeing in my mind much, much better with 50mm F1.8 than the kit at the same focal length. I find it much easier to compose. I suppose this is because it's fixed and I need to move rather than zoom. So in this regard, I think it's easier to use.

I shoot in A with DMF in RAW. I don't have a great feel for what aperture to use yet but I find that I can really see what changes I need to make in order to get a result the next time. I can see what range of aperture I should try in order to have a final image that might be good. I don't have this same sight with the kit lens even at the same focal length. So in this regard, I think it's less forgiving.

I think the lesson here is that if you are a beginner, then use a prime lens to learn on.

The lens is very easy to handle. The focus ring feels right where it should be and is large. I don't seem to have any problems with flare but I always use the hood, which is quite long, as I don't trust myself to really notice where reflected light might be coming from especially for inside shots.

Focus Peaking is a God send for me and while I make minor adjustments in magnification mode, I'm learning to trust the peaking most of the time. I'm using the yellow colour at mid level. I'm not sure if this information is useful to anyone.

I'm really, really pleased with this camera and lens combo. I wasn't sure if I could learn to handle the equipment but I think I am learning a little every time I use them.

I have absolutely no upgrade fever as I believe the equipment's capabilities far out shine my own and therefore a so-called better camera would do very little to improve my photos at this time. I am extremely curious how much the OSS is helping me though. I need to borrow a lens to find out.

I am also curious about that Zeiss 24mm. ;)

That first image is the best photo I have ever taken and I'm really chuffed with it as generally any good photo I take is luck but with that one, I moved the girls a couple of times before I shot because I could see the light. I feel as if I'm making real progress. It seems that pretty girls make one a better photographer. Who knew? :p

I don't know much about post-processing. I'm using Aperture for OSX and the NIK plugins. Dfine for noise reduction and Silver Efex Pro for B&W conversion.

I'm a little embarrassed to post my photos here as I see so many beautiful images from you all, but your encouragement and constructive (and very kind) criticism has been so helpful for me.

I'm also embarrassed to post this particular post, as I don't see how any of my observations could help anyone here but maybe there is someone here as green as me.

Thanks again.

11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Don't be, I'm probably where you are at now too, and your reflections on shooting are very useful. It's interesting I also use the exact same focus peaking setting as you do (yellow, medium)

I also agree with you on using primes to get better because the kit zoom makes you lazy and you don't think about your field of view enough. Since my adapters haven't come, I've taken to shooting everything at 55mm. A bit narrow and dark around the house though!

Edit: Oh yes, and I personally like your third post best in terms of pose. The woman has a very natural but expressive look on her face, rather than the more posed shots of the other two. I'm not sure I'd have cropped her head at that point though. I'd have probably gone portrait orientation and moved closer.

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I think Focus Peaking settings is extremely interesting to all, and actually I believe we should make a poll. But maybe that's been done here already ?
    I too use Mid Yellow in daylight, but switch to mid white at night indoors, because my living room is very dimly lit, so there is very little contrast for the Peaking to pick up. I need to be able to see the slightest little speck of shimmer, and white works pretty well for that.
    Also, to the OP, if you made those pictures, you have a (albeit a green one) photographer in you, and we can all benefit from your observations (keep up the good work ;) )

13. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I'll have to try that with the white. I find the high yellow to be too much information at large apertures and when I use low, there seems to be too many instances where I get pretty much nothing I guess due to not enough contrast. Does anyone use the red all the time? What advantages do you think it has?

I also like that look better although I think the first shot is a better photo over-all. Trying to get any of these girls not to pose is a problem though. That third photo was just her looking down and I called her name, as she looked up I took the shot.

I'm still not really comfortable with holding the camera in portrait orientation. I guess I'll have to take some time and shoot only in portrait until I get accustomed to the handling and framing.

Thanks for the comments.

14. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Don't be embarrassed, I for one, enjoyed your shots very much. I feel I can learn from anyone no matter their experience level. So, thanks for sharing.

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I haven't experienced with anything but Mid, but I'm finding it pretty balanced and useful so don't feel the need to try Low or High. However, I do find different uses for Yellow and White, I personally don't like Red, I find it too overwhelming (maybe it'd be interesting on Low ?).

16. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    +1

I couldn't agree more, Colin.

Photography is so much more than just camera equipment and technical know-how. It's also about learning from each other... how we think... what we see... how we process.

I've already been enriched by the images you've posted. I hope to see more of the rapidly changing China through Colin's eyes. :)

17. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Yes, I have also found the red peaking harder to use than yellow in general use.

Apparently yellow was scientifically proven to be the colour that stands out the most in human perception - which is why it's used in a lot for vital traffic road signs. I have yellow set as my default and have found it easiest to use in the majority of shooting situations.

The only time I found red useful was when I photographed a plot of yellow tulips where yellow peaking just got lost.

I have found white peaking to be the hardest to use. With my poor eyesight, I often get confused as to which is white peaking and which are subject highlights.

If I was given a choice of only two colours for focus peaking, I would choose yellow 1st and cyan 2nd.