1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

In rain use?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by adwb, Oct 31, 2015.

1. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    coming from Pentax with their extreme weatherproof bodies and lenses I now with my a7 rmk2 and the kit Lens I am a it wary of water.
    Just how waterproof or not is this camera and lens? I don't intend to stand under waterfalls or work in pouring rain but sometimes have to in that light misty rain that gets every thing damp very quickly .

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've used mine poolside, and gotten a few splashes with no issues at all. Just be careful, they ARE NOT weather proof, but water sealed.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Seems pretty waterproof to me. :laugh1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Christian Dandyk, in his review of Batis lenses here , mentions a time when his camera and lens became drenched. In that case, his A7ii failed. He suggests that moisture on the hotshoe was the culprit. It is a good review, worth reading.

While I wait and wait and wait for my Batis lens to ship, all I can do is read reviews....

• Like Like x 1
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I've used my A7 in light rain, snow, and once while getting drenched by waterfall spray and had no issues. In those cases I do keep a cloth in my bag to dry it so it doesn't sit soaked.

6. scrowley91

scrowley91 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    New Jersey
    Sean Crowley
    My a7s (and I) got hit by a firehose while it was -2 degrees F. It was litterally coated in ice. I've since taken it inside a burn building, and it also wasn't phased.

Oh, and both of those were with adapted lenses (Contax Zeiss) so if anything should be an issue, that would.

22445547530_7def699cb1_b. In the Fire by Sean Crowley, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  7. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Thanks every one that's reasuring, Chalkdust interesting comment in that link of yours. The reason I asked was that twice I have had the rear screen stop displaying in damp misty weather but after drying if worked again, I did wonder if the culprit was the hot shoe with its contacts , perhaps I need to look to cresting a wp cover

8. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Well I once used my A7r in fairly heavy rain. It was mounted on a tripod and I was triggering by the remote app. It then started behaving funny. I dried it off and left it for a couple of days at which point when I turned it on - it stayed on and wouldnt turn off. Sent it to Sony who said that there was corrosion in the shutter button connection which they replaced. Now, I obviously have no complaints as I know the camera isnt weather sealed but personally I would be reasonably careful even using it in light rain.

9. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    This get confusing, I wonder if the redesign on the mk2 versions of the dials and buttons relate some what to this? I liked the mk1 dials and was surprised at the use of the more common style from other brands in the mk2 bodies.
    I think I will invest in some of those plastic sleeve things just in case http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-optech-rainsleeve/p1017072

Unless someone has a other brand preference I should also consider?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015