In camera settings for better contrast?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by tominabox1, Aug 9, 2013.

1. tominabox1

tominabox1 TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 26, 2013
    I've been shooting a lot with my new NEX 6 and in pp I'm finding that to get the contrast I like, I have to move the midtone slider all the way left on the histogram in Photoshop. Is there a setting I can change in camera to get the midtones up some? (when shooting in JPG)

Of course I could shoot in raw and make a custom profile but I use a mac and the ARW files are not exactly that friendly.

Any tips?

2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    How about boosting the contrast up on your creative style... Or by using the vivid creative style.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Many of us here shoot raw and use Macs to process them. But you're the first to report ARW problems on a Mac (that I know of). I know your question is about in-camera settings, but if we can help, what sorts of problems are you encountering with your raw files?

4. tominabox1

Jul 26, 2013
    I have Elements 9 and it won't open the RAW files. I have yet to figure out how to update it so it does and I've tried multiple Camera Raw updates from Adobe with no luck. I got some converter thing from Adobe and that works but its super slow.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, Adobe doesn't update Camera Raw in older versions of their software. If you want to stick with Elements, I'm afraid they've got you over a barrel. You could convert all your raw files to DNG, or use some other raw converter (Lightroom, Aperture, et al.). But your version of Elements is an orphan, I'm afraid.

6. tominabox1

Jul 26, 2013
    That sucks. I got Elements 9 free with my scanner. I guess it might be worth looking into an upgrade.

But still, the contrast thing is a bother.