1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

In camera lens corrections - some questions

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Vira, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Vira

Vira New to TalkEmount

Aug 20, 2013
    Hello,

Now that the 16-70 F4 lens is available for purchase, I was wondering how will my camera (a NEX F3) will properly recognize it and apply the necessary corrections (barrel distortion & such) if there is no firmware update for it, and obviously the lens is much newer than the body.
    How does that work ?

I am aware that such profiles are useless if shooting raw (and Lightroom can take care of it anyway), but for those instances where I'd like to shoot JPEG...I was just wondering how it works.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It probably won't correct anything without a FW update, but I don't think any body will. Necessary corrections? Hell, if I spend a grand for a f/4 zoom lens, there better should not be any necessary corrections (and there aren't really, afaik).

3. Vira

Vira New to TalkEmount

Aug 20, 2013
    So my guess was right.
    I for one doubt that the 16-70 will be so good it won't require any corrections at all, especially considering some of the samples I've seen on various forums.
    It was purely academic though, 1000$ is way out of my league in terms of price; at best I hope that I'll be able the 18-105 Sony lens, right on time for Christmas :)

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I've only seen samples more than good enough not to require any technical corrections. About 1,3% distortion hardly needs to be fixed, the vignetting is hardly visible and I wouldn't call the CA especially visible either. Could you post me a sample with the flaws that annoy you?