• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

In-body and lens mage stabilization

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Sony IBIS uses lens IS (X & Y) and adds the pitch/yaw and roll:

---            

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
RIght, but I think Raz is asking if you turn lens IS off with a switch on the lens, does it also turn off IBIS in the body. And vice-versa - does disabling IBIS turn off lens IS. The answer to which I do not know...

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
After I wake up some more I'll try turning off the OSS on my new lens [I admit, I didn't even know there was a switch to do that] and see if it turns off the menu item in the camera. I don't think it will be we'll see.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
OK. I'm awake now.
Turning the switch on the lens to 'off' also switched off the camera setting for steady shot in the camera.
I don't know how to check if the lens OSS is shut off if the camera steady shot is turned off in camera.
The switch on the lens does control both though, as far as I can tell.

Raz

TalkEmount Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just because the option is marked as OFF or ON in the menu when the setting is different on the lens doesn't necessarily mean it is. I can't find anything about the issue (that search is probably too complicated for G**le)

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
All I can tell you is, the menu setting changed to OFF when I switched the lens to OFF. I assume OFF means OFF no matter which, camera or lens, is shutting it off. Edit - This is on the A7iii.
I will admit, I'm surprised that the lens switch could over ride the camera menu setting. It does make it convenient though.

Edit - I just checked it out on my A7ii and it's the same. Switch on lens over rides the menu in the camera.

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
AlwaysOnAuto - I believe in most cases, you can actually set the on-lens button to do something custom, including other camera body functions. I think all it probably does is send a signal to the camera, which then does whatever is necessary to carry that out.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I found this video that talks about it. It is with the other custom key settings, the very last button in the lists, labeled "Focus Hold" (the default function I guess).

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
This is cool. I was actually talking about the switch for optical steady shot. Didn't even know about that button on the side of the lens.
More stuff to explore!

Canon PowerShot SD1000       6mm    f/8.0    1/60s    ISO 80

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
  • When you set [SteadyShot] to [On]/[Off], the SteadyShot settings of the camera and lens switch at the same time.
  • If a lens equipped with a SteadyShot switch is attached, the settings can only be changed using that switch on the lens. You cannot switch the settings using the camera.
Is from the a6500 online help.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
AlwaysOnAuto - I believe in most cases, you can actually set the on-lens button to do something custom, including other camera body functions. I think all it probably does is send a signal to the camera, which then does whatever is necessary to carry that out.
I believe that you are referring the focus hold button which can be reprogrammed for many other tasks, including Eye-AF for cameras such as the A6500 which have Eye-AF capability but, not continuous Eye-AF. You can also program it for AF-on which can take the place of back button focus...

However, I do not believe that the OSS on-off switch can be reprogrammed for any other duty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom