1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Images Print Dark

Discussion in 'Printing' started by WestOkid, Feb 6, 2016.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I recently purchased a Canon Pixma Pro 100. Everything I have read says it's a great printer and I don't don't it will be once I figure out what I am doing.

My problem is that every photo I print comes out really dark. Based some research on the net, it seems this is a common situation, because we now use backlit monitors to preview wich is not the same as normal lighting situations. The problem is most of the stuff I read was old and the solutions were all over the place.

I would normally just apply trial and error until I figure it out, but this ink and paper isn't cheap. Anyone here faced this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've got the same printer, and rather than print directly from Lightroom, I always use the included Canon Print Studio Pro. It does a much better job for me, and on the rare occasion where the default setting doesn't nail it, I can use the Print Pattern to do a test print with a number of variations, and then chose the one I like best. Saves a bunch of ink.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks David. I don't see a stand alone version of the software. Maybe they no longer ship it. What I got was a LR plug in for Print Studio Pro. I just went to the site and only see the plug-in. Is that what you use?

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yep, the plugin is what I use.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Printing from Lightroom, my default "Print Adjustment" settings are Brightness +35 and Contrast +15. The "Soft Proof" profiles only do so much IME but I usually use them anyway and brighten things up a tad more (so it looks just a bit washed out on the screen). That usually gets me in the ballpark (most of the prints I have on the wall in the Wild Goose Bar were first runs...)

• Like Like x 1
  6. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Jeff.

After wasting some ink and paper it seems I am right about that +35 mark too. I had to make the same adjustments in Print Studio Pro. Funny how I didn't have to do that on my crappy printers.

7. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Also don't forget to set up the paper ICC profile.

8. s10010001

s10010001 New to TalkEmount

Aug 7, 2015
    Scott
    Just a thought, but is you're monitor set to bright? Look at your image on multiple screen to compare... The images could "look" brighter on you're monitor that they really are.