1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I'm unsure about the a7s!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Gensnap, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Gensnap

Gensnap New to TalkEmount

Nov 8, 2014
    I am a stills photographer in film and TV and have for years used what is known as a 'blimp'... a camera silencer, so I can shoot stills during audio recording without the sound recordists shouting at me. Now, I've used all the Canons and Nikon through to the D4 and the canon 5D Mark III. I tested out the a7s in the store today and I'm just not sure. I've had mixed impressions from the files. I initially processed the raw files in the new Capture One 8 and was not impressed, at least at the high ISO's, then I tried Lightroom, which was quite a bit better. On my Canon 5D Capture one wins, clearly. I have to say that Cap One was better with the a7s low ISO pictures.
    Has anyone experienced this processing phenomena, and can you give me any confidence that this camera can cut it? On paper it's pretty perfect for me. Good at high ISO and silent shutter, but I'm just not quite convinced. Below the two processed files. Shot at 25600 ISO. default processing for both engines. Capture One is on top, lightroom below. They are cropped from a much larger image.

Attached Files:

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    It is the first time today I am checking the capture one as I am editing some older RX1 vacation photos and noticed the same thing eg very nice low ISO and it needs more work at higher ISO eg you need to change the luminance, detail, etc in noise reduction. I am more interested to see what I can get color wise from Capture one vs LR. I am sure you can get a similar output if you change the parameters or maybe LR is easier to use for higher ISO's. I use ISO 12600 with A7R and LR is good with that... I only processed a couple images with capture one.

3. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    the capture one process does look a bit smoothed over , cutting some details -what lens did you shoot with?

4. Gensnap

Nov 8, 2014
    Hi Dannat,
    I shot it with the 35mm f2.8 Sony/Zeiss... I posted the same point on the processing section and had an interesting reply regarding the noise structure. The poster said that Lightroom applies clarity by default and this accounts for the granular look of the noise. I shall try to apply clarity/structure in Cap one and see if it makes the difference.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gensnap

Nov 8, 2014
    Ok.... I've done a few things to the image. This is all in Cap one 8 to try and reduce the smearing I found earlier. I've added no noise reduction and in the clarity sliders have reduced clarity and added structure, about 70% in each case. I then added grain. Cubic grain @89 with a granularity of 21. It is better in terms of losing the mushyness as in the previous picture and I think I'd rather have grain/noise than mush. Bear in mind that this is shot at 25600 ISO. I remember pushing Kodak tungsten slide film from 320 to 640 and cringing at the pebbles on peoples faces.I'll try and upload the example now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gensnap

Nov 8, 2014
    New process from Capture one 8

Attached Files:

7. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    it is sharper but a bit much grain for my tastes, on FM i saw some shots at 6400 iso which were just as if not cleaner than your shot

8. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Thank you for posting this - I've been desiring an alternative to LR partly because of the cloud hanging over it (pun intended) and was very excited about the C1 for Sony, but about cried then passed out when I did up a few images and the noise no longer looked like the nice structure that I was loving from the Sony sensors, it looked more like that "organic" Fuji stuff that I find just looks busy and I personally find distracting.