1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I'm noob and I love it

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by kjbalgos, Jan 28, 2014.

1. kjbalgos

kjbalgos New to TalkEmount

Jan 26, 2014
    First, this community is cool. I'm spending a lot of time looking different captures from different lenses.

I have just bought my Sony Alpha NEX-5T last week and I'm new in taking high quality pictures.
    This is my first cam and I'm really enjoying it.

I attached some of my shots and I would like to hear some comments and suggestions.
    These pictures looks good to me but I still want to improve it.

ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1390890005.382160.
    ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1390890025.830476.
    ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1390890051.182880.

• Like Like x 7
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Enjoy, glad to have you.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome!
    What lens was used for these shots? Kit lens?

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm usually not a fan of 16:9, but you made these work. Nice shots!

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Welcome to the forum!

I haven't seen a Shakey's Pizza in 35 years! Didn't know they still exist.

6. kjbalgos

Jan 26, 2014
    Thanks Guys!

I used 16mm-50mm lens in photo 1 & 3, and 55mm-210mm for photo 2.
    I'm using 16:9 because it maximized the display in my nex's lcd. What constraint do you suggest?

Shakey's is still alive here in the Philippines :)

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    pics #2 and #3 appear a little out of focus/unsharp that's why I asked what lens was used :)

8. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the NEX!

Photos 2 and 3 did look a little soft, particularly 2. What was your shutter speed on photo 2?

9. kjbalgos

Jan 26, 2014
    Thanks for your comment.

Picture2 = 180mm f/6.3, 1/60sec, ISO3200

Maybe the softness is because of the noise reduction i applied using Photoshop Express.
    I thought it would look good. Here's the original shot:

ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1391049936.494435.

I'm not good in focusing, I'm telling you this is my first cam. haha
    The focus seems to be on my puppy's nose.

Please help know what's good and what's bad :)

10. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Important to have sufficient shutter speed, especially when using long zooms, even if the lens has image stabilization. This is to avoid camera shake, which can make a photo look out of focus (and softer).

Good rule of thumb is using shutter speed of 1/35mm equivalent focal length. For example, if shooting with NEX at 100mm, you'd want to have a shutter speed of at least 1/150 second (100mmX1.5). Multiply focal length by 1.5 because of the NEX's cropped sensor size.

11. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Yes, the focus point seems to be on the nose.

The longer the focal length, the shallower the depth of field. So less things will be in focus. So if you want the entire dog face to be sharp, you'd need to stop down the aperture (raising the f-stop). Problem is that stopping down the aperture will lead to less light reaching the sensor, and that's bad in low light conditions, because you then need to increase the ISO, which will then lead to noisier photos.

Sorry if you already know all of this! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. kjbalgos

Jan 26, 2014
    Wow thanks! I didn't know that, I can't totally understand. Maybe I need to search some terms to totally get what you mean :p Your comments really help. I will do that, and I will post the pictures here after I reshoot it. :) Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I'm new to all these terms as well and had to do some reading myself. Welcome! Just getting the hang of the aperture/ISO balance myself. But it sure is fun to experiment. ;) Especially when you find an old lens that you have to manually focus. Then it gets real fun ;)

14. the8thst

the8thst New to TalkEmount

Jan 28, 2014
    Check out the following video. It does a great job of explaining Aperture,Shutter Speed,and ISO
    [video=youtube;KQw28-3LEU4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQw28-3LEU4[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Thats a good set of pictures to start out with. I like the girl with the ice cream, good portrait and the dogs cute. The interior of the Pizza parlour is a brave shot and it almost got there. a bit of PP would put some detail in the foreground people.

Just keep taking pictures and enjoy the camera. You have the eye, the technicalities will follow in time.

Well done, a good start! :cool:

All the best.

Rich.

16. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Here's a quick intro to photography. If this is all old news for you, please let me know. I'll write more in this thread when I have more time. Hopefully, others can chime in and help out too. I'm not an expert on this at all, and my knowledge is very basic. Hopefully, if I write something wrong, someone else will correct me!

When it comes to photography, light is everything. It's all about how much light you can get to the sensor (or film). Generally speaking, the more light the better. Although too much light can cause overexposure.

There are three variables in a camera that control light: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.

The aperture of a lens, is quantitative of how "bright" or how much light a particular lens can gather. Aperture is measured in f-stops. For example, a 50mm f/1.4 lens means that its brightest or wide open aperture is f/1.4. Most lenses can be "stopped down" or closed to f/16 or f/22. A lens with a maximum aperture of f/1.4 is considered a "fast" or "bright" lens, because it can gather a lot of light. As a general rule of thumb, you want to have fast lenses especially in low light conditions.

The aperture of a lens in most modern lenses is controlled by the camera. Older lenses have an aperture ring on the lens itself. Some modern lenses most Fuji X also have aperture rings.

More later!

17. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Welcome to the forum.

I like all three photos and think you have a good eye for this. They are good subjects and well worth looking at and enjoying.

You have asked for constructive criticism which shows a willingness to learn and improve, which is great. However, having asked that be prepared that you may not like all that you hear. :) You have already received very good advice and have taken it well. I think the thing to keep in mind is that they are your photos and if your like them then that is the important thing. Second, do your family and friends like them. Only after that comes a wider audience such as us. Various photographers have different interests and ways of doing things. Find your own style and don't be forced down paths you don't enjoy.

Number one: I think the 16:9 format suits this scene, which has a lot of colour and interest. For me it is let down a little by the girl almost centre in the foreground. She seems to be engrossed in her phone which draws my eye out of the photo. You could, and may have, take a number of shots from slightly altered positions or time so that these uncontrollable elements work better in your final composition. That's not always easy to achieve in situations like this of course. Cropping is another possible option.

The second image, of the cute dog, is indeed cute. It could do with more depth of field to get more of the dog's face in focus. A more traditional format could work too. A tighter crop is good if the background is distracting.

The same with the third shot, you could use cropping if you don't have the opportunity to compose in the original shot to remove distracting elements. A portrait or square format might be better for this shot. I like the eye contact with the subject. There is a bit of fun with the icecream too. The image could be sharper as has been mentioned already.

I hope some of that helps. A great start and keep up the good work. I look forward seeing more from you.

18. kjbalgos

Jan 26, 2014
    Thanks Guys! I really appreciate all your help. I invited my friend to be with me at "Sunken Garden" to take some shots. I was trying to apply what I learned, specially about the crop ratio of my NEX. I now understand what the Depth of Field is and I'm doing my best to get the right ficus. I would love to share these photos, all of these are not edited. I'm hoping I improved my shots and of course, comments are still welcome.

ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1391183037.572362.

ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1391183066.917351.

ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1391183101.889762.

ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1391183147.442794.

ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1391183211.631885.

• Like Like x 3
  19. kjbalgos

Jan 26, 2014
    Thanks Armanius and Snowy, that helps :)

Here's more of my photos, all of these are not edited.

ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1391183573.996328.

• Like Like x 3
  20. kjbalgos

Jan 26, 2014