• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

I'm back

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Hi folks

I’m back after sometime ‘underground’ how’s everybody doing? While I didn’t have a specific timeline for my little break, I find myself getting back to it earlier than expected. Hi and welcome to the new members, I’m just catching up with all the posts and I want to say that images shared are really good!
While I did try to get away from all things photography to let my mind “reboot” I ended up looking at photography from another perspective and adopted a new philosophy where I had to learn new ideas, re-learn forgotten ones, and unlearn certain ones too.
As well as shooting with the NEX, I’ve gone back shooting Tri-X film again as well, I’ve also picked up a Fuji X Pro 1 along the way, but for purposes of keeping to the forum’s principles I’ll only post images taken with the NEX.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Welcome back, you'll have to give us a link to your X Pro 1 images at some point so we can point and snicker. Just kidding, glad you're back. :)

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Thanks! It really did help, I felt that I really rekindled my passion for photography and feel quite exhilirated taking images once again. I have also joined a local photography club as well as a local facebook based streetphotography group.
The SC podcast #5 has also pushed me over the edge after hearing Bob's, Terry's, Ray's and Armando's experience, I have decided to bite the bullet.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Welcome back Phoenix! You obviously didn't go walk-about in the outback... judging from that FujiXpro1 you picked-up along the way, haha! :p

Bolampau

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Welcome back Phoenix,
funny that you mentioned Tri-X but that was my favourite B&W film.

Yesterday, I also got Alien Skin Exposure software working with Lightroom - it replicates old colour and B&W film characteristics. All you do is select your image file in Lightroom and edit in Exposure 3 or 4.......I can then choose all the old emulsions I used to use e.g. Kodak Tri-X and Kodachrome 200 and the results are amazingly close to the old films.
Cheers,
Paul

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Thanks!

Same, Tri-X has always been my favourite, I'm not sure regarding the prices in the UK, but we have to pay a bit of a premium here for Tri-X (specially the expired ones :p but it's really worth it) I may end up getting either Alien skin or Nik silver efex, I'm not so sure yet, I need a new PC first as my PC has died and I'm using my work laptop and I really can't install or edit anything. Once I get a working PC I'll shop around and may end up getting Alien Skin.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
welcome mate, you have been surprised at the forum, I'm glad you're back and as I hope you used the retreat so well.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
While I did try to get away from all things photography to let my mind “reboot” I ended up looking at photography from another perspective and adopted a new philosophy where I had to learn new ideas, re-learn forgotten ones, and unlearn certain ones too.
Yes, well said. Perspective is everything, not just in photography but also in life, in-general. I'm glad you've adopted a new vantage point. When you get familiar with that, find another one... then another one, etc. When I read your comment, I was immediately reminded of the shoe company Nike. When they decided to embark on a fresh charge into the marketplace, they didn't get new shoe designers... instead they employed architects, engineers, artists, from various non-shoe related industries - to design shoes. It has forever changed the world's concept of what shoes should look like!

As well as shooting with the NEX, I’ve gone back shooting Tri-X film again as well, I’ve also picked up a Fuji X Pro 1 along the way, but for purposes of keeping to the forum’s principles I’ll only post images taken with the NEX.

I for one would like to hear your comments and findings about the Fuji X Pro1... not necessary pitted as an adversary vs. the NEX, but rather as the fine photographic instrument that it is.

Glad you're back :)

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
I for one would like to hear your comments and findings about the Fuji X Pro1... not necessary pitted as an adversary vs. the NEX, but rather as the fine photographic instrument that it is.

Glad you're back :)

Thanks! I'll post my thoughts about the Xpro in a separate thread.

lapdog99

TalkEmount Veteran
Good news indeed. While your gone I went to the Google Plus event in San Francisco which is having a huge impact on my photography. I have to admit, I am waiting to see if the industry ever comes up with a full size sensor, mirrorless camera with a fast lens, but nothing official so far.
One of the photographers I met in SF, was Karen Hutton. She is not only a talented photographer, but does incredible voiceovers on videos (she is the voice on Trey Ratcliff's "Stuck on Earth". Do check out her new web site, Karen Hutton Presents LIL GALLERIES | Life is Light + Photography in a new context. One of the biggest discoveries was just
how in sync the Google + crowd is with photography. Lastly, get an Apple TV and go to podcasts and check out the incredible interviews with world class photographers during the Norwegian Light symposium done by Leo Laporte for TWIT Photo

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I have to admit, I am waiting to see if the industry ever comes up with a full size sensor, mirrorless camera with a fast lens, but nothing official so far...

Stop that trash talk! You're giving me goosebumps on top of goosebumps, lol! :D

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Welcome back! I just got back from vacation to find so much posted in the past week! I can't imagine having to catch up a longer period.

Latest threads

Top Bottom