1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I'll finally be holding an X-E1+35/1.4 combo in 2 days :)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nianys, Feb 19, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    No, no, I was a good girl and didn't BUY anything (though in all honesty it came THAT close).
    A good friend of mine (actually we met on DPR and realized we both lived near Paris and loved photography) and very long time Fuji user has the whole X family (save for the little X10, which I do own) so he loaned me his X100 two weeks ago. I can't live with the fixed 23mm lens and all the schizoid quirks, but that's another story, so I'll be handing back the camera on Thursday. BUT, he also bought a black X-E1 kit to get the zoom for his X Pro, more or less with the thought of selling the body to get a better price on the lens. Except... He's a camera freak and in love with his equipment, with a little bit of manic compulsive buying sprinkled on top, and I've been literally hunting him to buy his X-E1 body from him (since I want one, I want a black one, and I LOVE -call me sentimental- to get equipment from other well liked photogs, there's something warm and fuzzy about that, and maybe part of the reason I'll never ever ever sell my PEN 38 because I got it from Kevin on this very board).
    So when we meet on Thursday I'll bring back the dreaded X100 (he calls it his "spoiled little girl", lol) and lay my grubby hands on his shiny X-E and Fujinon 35. SWEET.
    I'm not going anywhere or parting with my NEX 7 or anything dumb like that, I just want to see for MYSELF how the X-E and 35 behave with new firmware installed.
    I'll make sure to keep you guys posted !!

2. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Ooh, exciting stuff! But what will you do if you absolutely love it......??! :polling:

3. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I'd be interested in hearing about your experience as well. Although the Fuji camera that interests me is the upcoming X100s.

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Force my friend to sell it ?

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Before clicking on the link, I thought this thread has GOT to be nianys. :)
    I very much look forward to your in-depth comparison!

6. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin

$10 says that NEX 7 is up for sale by March 1st...:biggrin:

7. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    How you getting on Claire, with the rejuvenation? Pain subsiding yet?

8. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hmm;; somewhat. I was getting crazy stuck at home this morning with first sunny day for *weeks*, so I braved the pain and just went for a walk with Colt (who was getting crazy along with me). We both enjoyed it tremendously (and the X10 came for the ride).
    Bandages are down to the minimum (I had an old and very ugly appendicitis scar made over as well), but the swelling... Oh the swelling (and being black/blue all over).
    Other than that I'm pretty confident the surgeon did a good job, because I'm horribly swollen in all the right places (meaning the ones I wanted toned down), which is a good sign ;)

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Kevin, you're sharp...

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    You are a person of great passion and passions cannot be denied no matter how much we try. Unless the XE1 is utterly terrible AF wise (and I suspect it might be just fast enough to fan the fires of your Fuji-X passions) I see the distinct possibility of a "change" in your future.

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Haha :D

Do you accept monthly instalments? Joking offcouse :p - hope you keep the 7 ;)

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I hope to keep it too, but if I sold it I'd rather sell it to a member of this community, even if I have to take monthly payments indeed !

13. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin

Monthly installments? If I had known that...:biggrin:

14. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Ha ha. Claire wouldn't do that dumb thing! :jedi:

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Who knows... Kevin seems to read my mind in an almost frightening way ;)

16. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    We'll see.....Rich might be right. ;)

17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    If only the AF performance was on par with the X10. I'd be just thrilled.

18. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Give in to your desire...

19. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    At first sight

... love ;)

No, seriously, first impressions : AF seems acceptable. About on par with the 7-SEL35/1.8 combo in good light (and both cameras on par with the X10 in the restaurant we tested the three in).
    Now trying to give it hell in my living room. Not behaving too shabby so far. There's still some lag in the overall operation, playing pictures, deleting them, etc.
    My kid will be back from school within half and hour, i'll know more by then :)

20. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I was hoping it would be crap......you know I'll want one next ;( Only post rubbish pics please! :)