1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

If you had to choose...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 19, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I finally sold the last of my my Fuji gear and have a little left over to pick up a lens for myself. One option is to give the much loved OM 24/2.8 another try. I know people swear by that lens and say that it is the best thing since sliced bread but I have had two and I am not sure if it was me or the lens(es) but neither of them impressed me all that much (but I am willing to accept that I was the problem). I also recently picked up an MD 24/2.8 that I like quite A LOT so other than it being really small I'm not sure what the OM would give me that I don't already have. The other option is a Nikon 28/2.8 AiS. What appeals to me about the Nikon is the close focusing ability and that it is very likely a significant step up from my Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus. I have always found that 24mm and 28mm is a large enough step when using APS-C to warrant having both. I tend to shoot a lot of close and middle distance stuff and almost never shoot anything at infinity (which if I understand theses lenses the play to the strengths of the Nikon as opposed to the OM).

I have zero experience with Nikon lenses and I have to say that I am not the biggest fan of Olympus gear. I have a lot of Minolta stuff and I love it but I don't see Minolta having anything that fill the same niche as the Nikon 28/2.8 AiS

Any suggestions?

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I agree with ya on having a 24, 28 for APS-C. Even one more....20mm. Field of view difference is significant.
    Seeing the results from your 'new' MD 24mm, I don't think you'll need the Olympus in your inventory. Optically, you're not going to be missing out.
    You might already know about this since you're into Minolta, they have a 28mm f/2.8 that was eventually to become a Leitz. So good, Leica used this design. It's a MD Rokkor-X, IIRC, with a 55mm filter diameter, and 7 elements in 7 groups. I found an early MD Celtic copy of this Rokkor, before they revised it with a lesser version. It's sharp, contrasty and colors are vibrant.

I had initially passed up on Nikkor 28mm f/2.8's due to one online review that this model was one of their dogs. But it may be the Ai and not the AiS.
    I think the AiS used a floating inner element. I'm sure Nikon experts can chime in on this fact.

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have been thinking about the Minolta 28/2.8 as well. I do like that the Minoltas are color matched so that would be a nice little benefit.

4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'm no Nikon expert, just used their stuff for 25 years and IMO the 28mm/f2.8 AiS is one of their 'best' manual lenses they have produced so far - worth every penny and yes, it has floating elements and lets you shoot really close.
    I also have the faster f2 version, a bit on the bulky/heavy side but yet another great piece of glass and one of my favorite Nikkors.

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I lost the auction for the one I had my eye on, but I'll keep looking.

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I chose, I don't need any more lenses right now.

7. Nexnut

Sounds good to me, Kevin. I've been thinking about a 300mm lens to photograph ships and oil rigs in remote parts of the harbor for quite a while. Haven't shot anything longer than 150mm in decades and 300mm sounds like fun to me. I'm still undecided though between a relatively light and compact modern zoom or one of those older monster primes (ED Nikkor). Time will tell ...

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I hear ya, from time to time I get a wild hair about some lens or another but I took a look at the lenses I have and realized that I didn't really need to buy something for the sake of buying something.

9. Nexnut

I'm still in the process of moving all my stuff 4000km south and had to realize again and again that I have far more stuff than I really need, especially since I have lived out of a medium sized backpack for many years and didn't miss anything. The stuff that I own gives me all the IQ and performance I need so apart from that 300mm lens I guess I wouldn't even accept any gear for free these days.

10. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I don't see the Olympus giving you anything that the Rokkor doesn't, especially when you're pleased with its performance. I think you made the right choice. Most of the time having a duplicate focal length is just that. Unless one in a macro or abnormally fast, it's rare that you benefit from two of the same.

11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    If I were to take A look at all the shots I've done over the past year I would guess that I've probably used maybe 2-3 lenses for the majority of them. I certainly like having options but when it comes down to it I could make do with way less. Where are you moving to? 4000km is a pretty big jump.

12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yep, I came to the same conclusion. In fact I might start culling rather than adding to the herd.

13. Nexnut

Same here, shot most of my stuff in 40+ years between 28 and 85mm FOV (with a strong peak at 35mm), pretty much the range of a 18-55 standard zoom on APS-C. Most of my glass falls in that range and I rarely needed anything longer or wider.

Canary islands, some 150+km west of the Sahara. I've been living there for a good while but now my stuff has to follow.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  14. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think if it came right down to it I could make do with my 24/2.8 or 28/2 (either one would be fine really) and my 35-70/3.5. Canary Islands? Sounds lovely, which island?

15. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I have an FD 24mm2.8 that is quite nice, I think apart from OM that has some cult like following you can get a better bargain on one of the orphan mounts such as MD or FD. Worth checking if you can get a mount for others, I had a really wonderful Fuji 50 1.6 in the film X mount but no mounts were available to use it on a digital body.

16. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I picked up a Minolta MD 24/2.8 and love it.

17. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    There seems to be quite some sample variability with the Olympus OM 24/2.8. Mine is great, sharp into the corners at f/8, don't use it anymore though since I have the FE 16-35mm.