• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

If you could only carry 2 lenses, what would they be?

hyde

New to TalkEmount
I just got the Nex 5N and am loving it. The kit lens is excellent. I'm going to Spain in a couple weeks and don't want to carry around more than 2 lenses. So I am looking for suggestions on what you guys would choose for the same situation. I was thinking definitely a wide angle, maybe the Ultron 28mm and what else? Portability is key. With that being said, is the 55-210mm from Sony a solid lense?

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
I would always carry the Voigtlander 28mm Ultron. If I wanted to go wider then I would add the Voigtlander 15mm Heliar. If I wanted to go longer then it would be the Zeiss ZM 50mm f2 Planar. Right now I have the wider option in my bag. I would prefer a three lens kit with the Zeiss but I can't afford it right now so I'm thinking about getting a Jupiter-8 50mm. I'm a prime sorta guy.

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Like Travisennis I'm a prime kind of guy as well, Until quite recently I'd say that one of the lenses I would definitely take is my Rokkor-X 50mm f1.4 which is my main lens, but I have a Nokton 35mm f1.2 VII on the way, and this might become my main lens depending on how it goes. For my 2nd lens I'd probably take my Rokkor MC 135mm f2.8 which I use as a short to medium tele-prime. I'm not really a big wide angle type of person but seeing the works of Travisennis and Streetshooter is really making me change my mind.

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
For you, I would recommend the 18-200mm lens (which basically covers everything while you're on vacation) and either the 16mm or a fast legacy prime in the 24-35mm range (for low light and easy travel).

The lens choice would depend on the situation. There are times when I want two reasonably fast zoom lenses that cover everything from 24mm to 400mm equivalent (such as the Olympus 12-60mm and 50-200mm SWD lenses on my Olympus DSLRs) and don't care about bulk. Other times I want the smallest lenses possible so I might only take my NEX-3 with the 16mm and a 35mm CCTV lens as a "fun portrait" lens. There are also times when a single good prime lens is all I need. I'm curious if I will find myself using the Zeiss 24mm or the Sony 50mm OSS more frequently.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
The two lenses I'd use are the Zeiss 24mm and the 50mm 1.8. They cover virtually everything I need. The problem is just that I can't afford the Zeiss in the near future, so I'm going to use the 16 mm or 30 mm instead (probably both) to cover this area. For a vacation, however, the 18 - 200 mm would be my first choice.

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
Like Travisennis I'm a prime kind of guy as well, Until quite recently I'd say that one of the lenses I would definitely take is my Rokkor-X 50mm f1.4 which is my main lens, but I have a Nokton 35mm f1.2 VII on the way, and this might become my main lens depending on how it goes. For my 2nd lens I'd probably take my Rokkor MC 135mm f2.8 which I use as a short to medium tele-prime. I'm not really a big wide angle type of person but seeing the works of Travisennis and Streetshooter is really making me change my mind.

Thanks. I appreciate you saying that, it made me feel good. I feel like a I really struggle with wide-angle lenses, which is part of the reason why I use them so much right now. They are a challenge for me. Now, give Streetshooter a wide-angle lens and it mimics how he sees the world. For me, it's still a process of learning to see in that field of view. I'm always a tough critic of my own work, but I do feel like I'm getting better each day with my 28mm lens. Now, my 15mm lens is another story. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom