• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

If I could only have two lenses...

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
If i only had two golf clubs - I'd quit playing.

That said, my favorite lens for both crop-sensor and full-frame Sony cameras is the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8...

I pair this with either a wider or a longer lens, depending on my venue...

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Way to put me in a dilemma.

When I head out and I don't know what I'm shooting, I take the FE 70-300 and either the Zeiss 24-70/4 or the Contax Zeiss 35-70/f3.4. I like the Contax better despite the lack of autofocus, but sometimes I need wider.

Of course, I really could just rock the FE 55mm/1.8 for portraits and the FE 24-240 for everything else.

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
The Sony 85mm F1.8 and Samyang 35mm f2.8 really do the most work on my A7Rii, at least when I am in an AF sort of mood. I also find I use my Minolta Rokkor 28/2.8 and 45/2 commonly. I use longer tele lenses more on occasion, and often find I can crop in on a shot from my 85mm when I need to. If I had to pick, it would be the Sony 85 and Sammy 35. Ultimately, I think I would go for something wider than the 35, maybe the Sammy 18 or the Sony 20/1.8 if I could swing it.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Funny you mention the Minolta 45/2. That was the very first lens I ever owned which I got with my first 'serious' camera, a Minolta XG-M. I get some great images from it, even though I have seen it panned by some as not being a very good lens. I have been ignoring my small collection of legacy glass - I need to fix that.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Funny you mention the Minolta 45/2. That was the very first lens I ever owned which I got with my first 'serious' camera, a Minolta XG-M. I get some great images from it, even though I have seen it panned by some as not being a very good lens.
I happen to have a Minolta X-GM and Minolta 45/2 now. Got it because I lusted after it when I was a teenager and I saw it for $50 on ebay in near mint condition.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I happen to have a Minolta X-GM and Minolta 45/2 now. Got it because I lusted after it when I was a teenager and I saw it for $50 on ebay in near mint condition.
Cool, Tipton. I still have my XG-M. It's in great shape, but I have not tried it in so many years, I don't know if everything works as it should. Too much sentimental value to get rid of it, though.

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
Is it too hipster with the sony alpha strap ?

ILCE-6600    FE 55mm F1.8 ZA    55mm    f/1.8    1/2s    ISO 100

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
My 45/2 came with an apparently functional SRT201 attached. I have yet to fire some film through it, but that is on my to-do list! Haven't ever used anything other than a cheap P&S with film, so I'm curious how it'll go now that I have at least a basic understanding of how to use a camera. I plan to start with B&W film. </threadhijack>

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
My favorite lens is the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron and I will pair this with one of the following, depending on what and where I am shooting: Sony 70-200mm f/4 G OSS, Sony 85mm f/1.8... I MAY (if I live through the Covid-19 pandemic) replace both the latter two lenses with the Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8...

TravelinBri

New to TalkEmount
If I could only have two lenses with no cost limits? The Sony 12-24/2.8 (which I don't have and probably won't get) and the Sigma 24-70/2.8. I'd miss the long end, but those are the two I'd use most often. A third option at no cost to me would likely be the Sony 100-400. I actually only have one of these lenses (the Sigma 24-70) and will likely be picking up the Sigma 100-400. Considering selling my 16-35 for the Sigma 14-24. Maybe they'll make me a global ambassador :clapping:

Top Bottom