• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

If I could only have two lenses...

mattia

TalkEmount Veteran
If forced to choose, I would say the CV 35/1.2 mark II and the 55/1.8. I can stitch the latter for wider landscapes or crop to an 85mm equivalent, and I'm a sucker for the look of a fast 35 for people...

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
My answer is strange, I know. I am not trying to maximize focal length coverage. I am merely thinking of the kinds of photography I really like and actually do. So my two lenses would be (and actually have been for several trips in the past) the Voigtlander 40mm Heliar f/2.8 and the Voigtlander 65mm APO-Lanthar f.2.0. Both are spectacular optically. The 40mm Heliar can be used with the Close Focus adapter for manual focus or with the Techart Pro for auto focus. These two fit lenses fit me best.

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Oh well that’s not easy: a wide angle ( anything from 15 to 35mm ) and 85mm 1.8. I think I could live well with my tokina 20 f2 and sony 85 1.8, but then I like my Jupiter-9 and the samyang 35 2.8 and go small. If could exist a 20-24 f2 for the same size of the 35, well, that would be my pair with the 85mm :)

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
well for a long time on my Canon EOS film camera my two lens setup (which evolved over many years and changes to become stable for at least 6 years) was 50f1.8 and 24f2.8

I'm now using 50f1.4 and 24f2.8 on my A7 although considering carefully buying either a 20mm or a 17mm to replace as my wide (*because on m43 I've found I like 9mm and 11mm)

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
My first experience with interchangeable lens cameras was in 1963, As a Navy photographer, I had access to the Navy Leica M-2 kit which had 35mm, 50mm, and 90mm lenses. I usually left the 50mm back and generally shot with the 35mm and 90mm lenses... I have always liked that combination when shooting with full frame equipment...

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
... I have always liked that combination when shooting with full frame equipment...
very interesting. I have found with my m43 kit that I tend towards now using 20f1.7 and 45f1.8 which is pretty close to what you'd settled on :) I've been seeking a 35mm lens for the A7 ... because its close to the 20

its nice too that the above choice is compact

Amin Sabet

Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm very interested in the soon to be released 40mm Batis. Only wish it was a little less chubby, but nothing's perfect!

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
If I could only have two lenses, I think I'd have a nervous breakdown.

But, to maximize range, 24-105 plus 100-400 (That I don't currently own). If the rumored 200-600 comes to pass, swap that in - I'd forego the 105-200 gap and crop from the A7Riii if needed.

If I had to pick my two favorite lenses, I'd have a tough time choosing. Of the three primes I have - 28/55/90, I feel the 55/90 are the better two, but I don't use the 90 that much, so the 28 may have to win out.

Of my zooms, I'd pick the 24-70GM and 70-200G. Would hate to give up the more convenient 24-105, but something's gotta give.

For a mix and match, I'd go 24-70GM and 90 macro.

Last edited:

Amin Sabet

Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm gonna change my answer to FE 35/1.4 and FE 85/1.8. As much as I want to lighten the load, the FE 35/1.4 is still my go to lens for family pics.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I think my choices are now changing based on the camera (A7iii).
The 24-105 is so good on it I haven't had the desire to look for any other lens. In fact, I've had a hard time justifying or figuring out what other lens I'd even consider. Maybe the 90 macro because I do like to shoot macro on occasion. I've often wondered what you guys/gals would recommend to me based on the pictures I've posted here.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Regular
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
When I started out I knew that number one lens would be the 90mm macro, as I do shoot quite a lot of macro, closeups and abstracts. I also like to shoot the local wildlife around my home, so about a a month-and-a-half after getting my first three lenses, I also sprang for the 200-600mm. When spring and summer came along, though, I realized that I really would do better with the 100-400mm and the 1.4x teleconverter for walking around the neighborhood, as the 200-600mm is rather awkward and a bit too heavy for me to carry around for very long. It is better suited to spending its life on the tripod.

So somehow, even though in the very beginning I had intended to get the 24-105mm, I still haven't actually managed to do so, as other lenses keep pushing their way into top position on the "next purchase" list. One of these days, though....

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I used to have a Nikon D80 which I paired with the then new 18-200 lens. It was a great single lens option that gave me a lot of pleasure when using it. At the time having a lens that would go 18-200 and give decent pictures was pretty amazing. It wasn't 'perfect' by any means, but very passable.
The Sony 24-105 is mind blowingly sharp at all the focal lengths, just like the reviews said it was. It's not the lightest lens in my bag, but, it's the one that's on the camera the most lately, which is telling right there. For macro I still have my Micro Nikkor. But what I'd really like is an auto focus macro lens, so maybe the 90 would be a good choice.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I have become obsessed with Voigtlander (CV) lenses. I have both the 65mm (1:2) and 110mm (1:1) lenses they make. These are fully manual, but I love the images I get from them. If I could only have two lenses, I might give up one of the macros for the CV 40/1.2 which I also own, for me is very versatile, and works surprisingly well for landscapes.

I now only have one AF lens, the Tamron 28-75. It is mostly used for family gatherings, not only for AF and zoom but so I can put the camera on mostly autopilot and hand it to someone else if needed. I suspect my obsession with manual glass may be moderated as I age, which is creeping up way too fast.

I don't think I'll ever be prepared to limit myself to two lenses in my arsenal. Besides a host of legacy glass I now have 9 native lenses and a reduction is not in the works, rather the opposite. But I regularly have to pick 2 or 3 lenses to take with me when I want a small kit on the go. In that case I usually take the Zeiss Batis 2/40 and Zeiss Loxia 2.4/85; I'm on the hunt for another Sony FE 2.8/35 after I recently sold my subpar sample and that lens is so small and light that I'll often throw it into the bag as a third lens, especially for street photography.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
It is fun to read how these answers change over time. About a year and a half ago I chose CV 65 APO-Lanthar and CV 40/2.8 Heliar. Obviously I do not seem to seek a wide range of focal lengths. So today, I think I would narrow my answer even more. I choose the CV 50mm APO-Lanthar and the Samyang 45/1.8. Sometimes I really like autofocus now that I have the Sony A7iii. So forget focal lengths and give me my "normal" lens, one manual and one auto. Both are fast enough, both are excellent optically.

But please, please do not force me to reduce to only two!

Top Bottom