1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Ideal standard lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brad Buszard, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Brad Buszard

Brad Buszard New to TalkEmount

Sep 22, 2011
    I'm a bit torn between two that I've been using. The sharper and slightly wider of the two is the Contax G Biogon, but I also have a CV 35mm Skopar that is a better fit for the NEX (i.e., it's smaller) and does a very nice job. A few examples of the latter are attached. Anyone else using a Skopar? How about another tiny lens?

Attached Files:

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Great images, Brad. The Biogon you're referring to is the 28mm f/2.8, no? I've heard good things about the Contax G 35/2 Planar.

3. Brad Buszard

Sep 22, 2011
    Yep, that's the one. It isn't a large lens itself, but you need a much larger adapter to make it work (I have the Metabones one). I've tried the Biogon and the 45mm Planar on NEX, and both are very sharp. The latter is my favorite lens for quick portraits. I don't have the Contax 35mm.

4. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I would be torn between those two lenses as well. I do not own either one, but my primary lens on the NEX is a 28mm lens. I just love that field of view. However, I'm also attracted to the Color-Skopar as it is just so tiny, but is extremely sharp. If I were you I would shoot with for a few weeks and then the other and see which gives you the most images that you are pleased with.

5. Brad Buszard

Sep 22, 2011
    Already have, Travis, and I still can't decide. The Biogon is definitely sharper, but is less straightforward to use than the Skopar given its funky focussing mechanism.

No crisis here; I use the Biogon with my G1 and the Skopar with my Canon P, so they aren't going anywhere. I would be interested to see examples from other lenses. Do you have any from your Ultron? I had the 1:1.9 Ultron once upon a time, but sold it before the NEX came out.

6. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Ugh, that makes it tough. ;)

I had a C/Y 50mm 1.4 Planar that was extremely sharp and an excellent overall lens, but I got rid of it because I didn't like the size. I imagine your Biogon is much the same way. A very nice lens, but not perfect in some way. What you don't like about it nags at you. It took me a long time to get rid of the Planar, but once it was gone it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I've avoided Contax G lenses because I don't to hassle with the 'funky focusing mechanism.'

I'm slowly posting more images to my Flickr account and most of the new ones will have been taken with the Voigtlander. Until then, you can look at this thread that I started a few days ago. All of the images in it are taken with the Voigtlander.

7. Brad Buszard

Sep 22, 2011
    Nice shots, Travis.

The Planar works fine, but 45mm is too long on the NEX sensor as a standard lens. Same goes for my Canon 1:1.4 50mm Planar. The Biogon is about the right focal length, but focusing the G series is finicky. I think it's a bit sharper than the Skopar, though. Hence the dilemma: better handling vs. better sharpness.

8. riccardocovino

riccardocovino TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    For me the extra sharpness does not overcome the compactness and usability of the Skopar.
    The wider factor could be more important, but it depends on the subjects you usually shoot at.