1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I'd love to see this lens in an e-mount

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Richard Crowe, Apr 12, 2019 at 6:14 PM.

1. Richard Crowe

Richard Crowe TalkEmount Regular

Sep 14, 2018
    The Tamron 35-150mm F/2.8-4 Di VC OSD seems like it would be a great general purpose long focal length lens for the Sony A6xxx camera line...

Relatively small in size, it would equate to an effective 52.5 to 225mm on a Sony APSC camera. IMO, this would make it a great travel telephoto lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    A picture of the lens would really help this thread out.

3. Richard Crowe

Sep 14, 2018
    This is the only picture I could find. I cannot find the size/weight specs but, it is toted as a "compact" telephoto lens, whatever that means...
    Tamron Lens.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    My apologies Richard.
    I thought you had this lens in your possession already and could easily take a picture of it.

5. Richard Crowe

Sep 14, 2018
    I would only purchase this lens if it were in a Sony e-mount! There is not much information available on this lens. IMO, it would be a perfect focal range for an APSC camera...

6. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Nice to have the tele end but not wide enough for my liking.
    I could live with 35mm on a FF though ;) 

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Richard Crowe

Sep 14, 2018
    It would be absolutely perfect for my style of shooting... I don't like lenses with excessively wide focal ranges - such as an 18-200mm because image quality ALWAYS takes a hit with these lenses. My solution to the problem of generally mediocre quality of lenses with extremely wide focal ranges is to shoot with a pair of bodies using a longer focal length lens on one body with a shorter focal length on the other body.
    NOTE: I don't generally shoot video with my Sony cameras...
    My solution when shooting Canon APSC format was to use the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on one camera with my trusty EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens on the second camera.
    Shooting with the Sony APSC lineup, I use mostly prime lenses. One of my favorite combinations is the Sony 85mm f/1.8 on one camera with either the Sigma 20mm f/2.8 or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on the other. I use a lot of Sigma glass for my Sony APSC setup. I had been seriously considering the 16mm f/1.4 Sigma but, that lens is pretty large and heavy which sort of defeats the purpose of shooting APSC format.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If you change always to often, I bet most would agree with you there, Richard. But slap a Loxia 21 on the front of your camera, and it may make you reconsider. It really is a no compromise wide angle lens.

27196270953_9f812fb98e_h.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Megler Bridge - Astoria.jpg by David Wood, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  9. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The Loxia 21 is practically the standard in its class, but... I think he meant a zoom that goes from wide to telephoto in its range. In that vein I would tend to agree, which is one reason I shoot primes. :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I bet you’re right, Bob. In which case, I wonder if the Sony 16-35 f/4 might work. I’ve always read that its weakness is the long (35mm) end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I would also take a strong look at the Tamron 17-28 when it becomes available.

That could work pretty well combined with say the Sony 70-300 or one of the 70-200 lenses.

12. Richard Crowe

Sep 14, 2018
    I really don't like shooting with wide lenses all that well and I generally don't like the results that others get using wide focal lengths. I have always been more of a telephoto guy... Actually, my favorite APSC combination for Canon DSLR cameras has always been the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses. Unfortunately, there is no combination like this in a form factor which will match my A6xxx series cameras. The only really decent "small" lenses seem to be primes.
    I do like my 85mm f/1.8 plus a wider lens like the 30mm f/1.4 or 19mm f/2.8 Sigmas. The Samyang 12mm f/2.0 lens is also a dandy for the A6xxx class camera. It is small, has great IQ and the focus peaking and magnification of the A6500 or A6400 makes it pretty easy to use a manual focus lens. Especially a 12mm lens that has a DOF from here to the end of the world at f/11 or f/16;) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.