IBIS/Steady Shot

robertokeywest

New to TalkEmount
hello out there,

i'm brand new to this forum and i hope i'm not out-of-line by creating a post right off the bat, but i'm desperate. having bounced back and forth between canon and nikon since 1992, i entered 'Sony World' about a year ago and things had been going pretty well.

i got an A7III body, a 16-35 and a 24-105 to start and as a newspaper guy, i've loved the 'live view,' and silent shutter options for some of my more delicate moments in the news-gathering world.

a few months ago, and for the first time in my life, the shutter button just fell off. about the same time, i started noticing that A LOT of my shots made around 125th/second and lower had tons of movement. i just got a 'soft shutter' button in the mail the other day and it didn't seem to help a bit...

so, we all know the rule-of-thumb about 1 over the focal length, and i've lived by that for years, but either i've got the 'DT's', or something else is going horribly wrong.

now, i'll be the first and second to admit that my hands aren't as steady as they once were, but this has gotten so bad that i've had to start reaching for my D850 on important shoots. don't get me wrong, i love my nikon stuff, but i'd like to move on and use this $5000 worth of really nice sony stuff.

my question is, how can images like the one i was ashamed to attach here happen with 'IBIS' engaged? this random street scene was shot at 18mm at 125th of a second at F/9 and it's obviously crap.

i guess i'll have to take both my sony and nikon out with similar lenses, shutter speeds etc and do some testing, but in the meantime, i was just wondering if anyone else out there has had any issues with the 'ibis' thing at reasonably slow shutter speeds. i mean, i'm reading articles where people are getting 'pin sharp' images at 1/10th of a second. to be honest, if i could just get consistently-sharp images at 1/60 with the proper lens, i'd be more than happy.

i know that higher shutter speeds and a tripod could fix this, but those are obviously not always possible...maybe i just need to lay off the coffee...

thanks for any constructive criticism, hell, at this point, i'd take some destructive criticism, too:)

thanks for your time,

rob o.

Attachments

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My guess is you have a problem with your camera.
How many shutter actuation's does it have on it?
I've got the same setup, A73 w/24-105 lens.
Did you accidentally hit a switch/button you weren't supposed to?
Shutter buttons don't 'just fall off' either.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
1. be sure that IBIS/Steady Shot is enabled. If not sure, do a factory default reset to the body.
2. I also am wondering what is with the issue of the shutter button 'just fell off'. Did you possibly break something within the shutter switch? They don't normally 'fall off'. My older A7II hasn't. Note, IBIS doesn't activate until a half shutter press. Check through the EVF that a half shutter press still activates not only the AF but the IBIS. Usually one can see the image shake a little and stabilize.
Even with my unsteady hands, I can get a sharp image a 1/30 sec with IBIS enabled.
If nothing works, it's time to seek out Sony Service Center.

Good luck.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Nice kit, and welcome. Post away!

That sure likes like motion blur. Even IBIS can only do so much about to overcome it, but given your shooting parameters, that would be a lot of movement and you would likely know what had happened. I have gotten shots down to 1/15th or so with IBIS on myself.

I too kind of wonder if something is wrong with the body. I would do a full settings reset to make sure I didn't inadvertently get some settings messed up. Also do some testing with a tripod if possible. If you turn IBIS off and use good shooting technique and a decent shutter speed, do you still get blurring? Perhaps the IBIS mechanism is compensating incorrectly.

For what it's worth, I've never had a shutter button just fall off any of my bodies either. WNG has a good point in that if the shutter button is internally broken, you might not be getting everything enabled on a shutter press.

I too kind of wonder if something is wrong with the body.
Me too. I've had an A7R2 for 4 years and I shot with IBIS on all the time, except on a tripod; the A7III is reputed to have even better IBIS. You'd have to be moving quite a lot to get your test shot's motion blur with 1/125 s and an 18mm lens, it's crap indeed. If you can make sharp pictures with a Nikon D850, you'd be able make sharp pictures with an A7III even with OSS off. Like Bob @bdbits says, try what happens if you switch OSS off; if that goes well, your camera almost certainly has a problem.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
IMO - the problem with your image most certainly results from a camera malfunction to some type. The fact that your shutter button has fallen off most likely has some connection with the problem.
However, there could possibly be a problem with your lens.

robertokeywest

New to TalkEmount
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hello out there, i really appreciate all the feedback...to be clear, the little black piece of plastic that was glued onto the shutter button is what fell off. i bought a 'soft shutter' replacement and it doesn't seem to matter. a screwy setting i may have enabled accidentally is a possibility. i'll do a factory reset and some tripod testing.

as for repairs, does anyone out there have any suggestions on a decent sony repair company? i've been using midwest camera repair in warwick, RI, for more than 10 years for my nikons. just wondering if they're an 'authorized' sony repair outlet.

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I think in the US, Sony uses Precision Camera for warranty work. Not sure if they have 'authorized' repair centers elsewhere, though if you are out of warranty it likely does not matter much. It may be that your preferred place does work on Sony bodies. My google-fu found Midstate Camera Repair in Warwick and they list Sony, might not hurt to call them.

MWhite

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
That certainly looks like camera shake and I very much doubt it is your technique or steadiness. You may well have problems with your camera, BUT there are so many possible settings on a Sony that it might be worth doing something like a reset and starting fresh. Perhaps, e.g., you have an unintended setting - easy to do given the complexity of Sony's menus. (Mark Galer's book may help.) I have the A7III & the 24-105 and I do not have the problems you are having. Let us know how it goes.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
The original article which DPReview does link to is at https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/06/the-great-flange-to-sensor-distance-article-part-ii-photo-cameras/. Funny enough, Roger predicted other sites would run articles with clickbait headlines as DPReview did, lol.

The amazing thing to me is that the problems mostly had no impact on images, even when they purposely looked for it. In fact the bodies with faulty sensor mounts had passed their 64-point inspection they do on all returned gear, and there were very few comments from customers that anything was wrong (not just Sony, that was on all brands). Also... "When the dust settled, we found that actual lens mount problems occurred in under 2% of our Sony camera stock, about the same rate as our Canon cameras." So while unsettling, I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

It will be interesting if he posts back to see what conclusion Sony comes up with. He says in the comments he has had nearly daily contact with them.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
The OP is a press photographer. They have a rep for being tough on their gear. That may be undeserved in this case. And there's been a change in performance since acquisition. Gear failure would be the first place I'd look. Sensor mounts are a long shot sure, but it happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom