• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

iAuto + picture effects in RAW? (Nex6)

Riquez

New to TalkEmount
Hi there,

I have been using a C3 for the past 2 years, picked up NEX-6 today.
Many of the menu's are different from the C3, which is fine, & after a day of practice I pretty much have the grasp of it.

Right now the only thing which has me confused is that on the C3 in iAuto Mode you can select 'picture effects' & shoot HC B&W, or Toy etc - EVEN IF you are shooting in RAW or RAW+jpg - the camera simply saves a JPG instead of RAW.

Has this ability been removed for the 6?
I hope you can help with an answer for me.

Just to be clear:
• iAuto, Shooting RAW, select HC B&W & the camera saves a JPG.

(ps: I posted this on dpreview, but everyone there is so busy discussing A7r news they don't have time for actual NEX questions!)

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Sorry, Riquez, can't help you. I've never used iAuto, nor any of the effects built into the NEX-6.

But I'm a little unclear on your question: are you trying to shoot raw +jpeg and the effects aren't being saved in the resulting jpeg? Or you're not getting a raw file in addition to the jpeg, or the effects aren't being saved in the raw file (which is normal)? I know you said: "just to be clear," but it's not all that clear to me. Can you rephrase your question for those of us slow on the uptake? :p

In any case, welcome to the forum! There may be some jpeg shooters here who can answer your question.

Riquez

New to TalkEmount
No problem.

What I mean is:
a) I set the camera to shoot [RAW] or [RAW+JPG]
b) I turn the mode dial to iAuto
c) The rear navi wheel has the icon for 'picture effects' on the down key - I cannot press this button, it says "cannot do in raw/rawjpg". I simply cannot select this option at all, unless i set the camera to JPG only.

However on the C3, which is a much older model, you could select 'picture effects' in this way.
The resulting images for using [iAuto+Picture effects] (such as High contrast B&W) are saved as jpg because they obviously have effects applied & cannot be RAW.

Apparently this ability has been removed, but I am not sure if maybe I am doing something wrong? Seems odd to remove the option when obviously it was there before.

The benefit of this is simply that I don't have to keep switching from RAW to JPG if I want to make use of the high contrast B&W.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Well, I just tried that on my NEX-6, and what you describe is true on my camera as well. But if you switch out of iAuto, the standard Creative Styles are available in raw + jpeg. I have never used iAuto, preferring to make shooting parameter choices myself, but my guess is that it may be implemented differently on the NEX-6 than on the C3. Clearly, Creative Styles are not available in raw + jpeg on the NEX-6 while using iAuto. But just switch to aperture priority, say, and you're good to go.

Riquez

New to TalkEmount
Thanks WoodWorks.
I rarely use iAuto myself, but there are times when its just easier or faster just to switch to auto & start shooting. I am not really a fan of the effects & I would prefer to apply these later myself in PS, but the HC B&W is an exception as its very good SOOC.
I found a workaround; I set Key B to JPG/RAW, so now I have a fairly quick way to change to jpg if needed.

As an example, these were shot with HCBW last week. I was out with friends & this was a good time to use auto because my friends get my full attention & essentially I am just P&S'ing.

jyqw.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ezez.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Riquez

New to TalkEmount
uh oh, looks like I was too soon in assuming I had a workaround ~

I have set Key B to RAW/JPG, but when I turn the mode dial to iAuto, it becomes wi-fi.

Is there any way I can have a button to change JPG/RAW when in iAuto?

Note: My camera is Japanese, & although I am fairly competent at reading it, it does tend to make it harder for me to find the right setup options, so any help to guide me is appreciated.

Riquez

New to TalkEmount
OK, I got it! Sorry. Its just a matter of juggling Fn button & Key B options. Eventually I will get the perfect options for me. Its just new right now.

I set RAW/JPG to the Fn button, & switched D.range to Key B.
Ideally I would have liked to put AF Area on Key B because then it would never be appropriate for iAuto anyway. (which seems to force wifi to Key B)

Latest threads

Top Bottom