1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I was never a fan of the special effects...

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by SRHEdD, Apr 18, 2015.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    ... but I've come to see there are times when they are completely appropriate. I'm the Director of Marketing for a restaurant portfolio, one of which is surf-themed and very community-minded. They had a local car show today, and these two shots went over very well with the members of the club, the patrons, and the management. The "Painting HI" setting was used, and added good flair (not flare) to the subject. Must explore these settings more...

A6000/16-50PZ.

Porsches. Porsches2.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Interesting effect. I can see why everybody liked them. :)

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I :inlove: Porsches!!!
    I'll take the red one from the 2nd photo please :D

4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Half of my brain likes it.. the other half does not. IT has something but there are times that I find too "plastic" feeling. Perhaps it is something on my cortex
    Alex

5. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    That's where I come from, too. It is the camera making the photo more than me. But, I guess I am choosing WHEN to apply the effect. Anyway, it apparently has marketing value, and that helps PAY for the cameras.

6. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    Effects are ok if it supports the photographer's intention, as it seems to do here. I'd like these even better if the sharpening didn't put halos around everything in the sky. It probably exaggerates the sensor dust too!

7. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    A little too baked for my tastes.

8. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I agree, but I've already been asked for prints and to get quotes on post cards.

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Interesting! I've not dabbled with the creative settings much at all.
    Wasn't aware of this result. Definitely along the lomo/HDR artsy trend.
    It's subjective art, so appeal varies. I like good HDR and lomography, and it appeals to me when done to my preferences. Where less HDR is more.

10. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Actually, no sharpening other than what that particular "effect" applies. It likely DOES add a lot though, to delineate between shades and enhance the effect.

And this is the "HI" setting, I'll experiment with lowering it, too. This is a bit much for me, but striking to a non-critical eye.