1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I want to kill myself !

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by izTheViz, Aug 16, 2015.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Yes, tonite I want to kill myself. Sorry to bother you with this guys but I've just lost my last raw files. Maybe I need to talk to somebody who can really understand me. I am here with my family in Hawaii celebrating my wife's 40th birthday and our wedding's 15th. I took some great pictures and tonite I just make a BIG mistake. I was juggling with 3 SD cards. The last one I used was apparently not properly set for PAL video but I didn't care cause I only make photos. Each time I wanted to preview my shots I had a message asking me to whether I wanted to format the card for PAL compatibility or cancel. Each time I cancelled until tonite. Went to fast. And formatted the card. Tried to take it out but too late. Should have better switched off the camera instead. Should have better backed up my photos every day, my fault. Should have better fixed this video incompatibility before going any further, my fault, too lazy, too much confidence...I erased my last photos, those from Maui. Probably some of the best ones. We woke up at 2 a few days ago to experience a sunrise on top of Halakeala Volcano (10000ft+) some great moments...all gone. The same day I've catched one of the best sunset I've ever seen in Lahaina. Shot it to death. All gone.
    I can't describe how bad I feel.
    Always back up you shots guys. Always...

Yannis

2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Recovery should be possible. I've used multiple free programs in the past to recover lost data. Make sure u don't write anything over the card before trying to recover. And don't kill yourself. Your pics should still be there. Look for Photo Recovery. I'll find a link in a minute...

Here ya go http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Tried already...thanks anyway.

4. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Unlo, I owe you a really big hug. Your program worked. I tried some other file recovery software that didn't make the trick but here I must admit yours made magic. Thanks a million man !

• Like Like x 7
  5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    No problem glad to help.
    I'm honestly on hour 7 of flight delays and cancellations... Feels good to be doing something positive with my time here in the airport, ha. Cheers to awesome vacation pics! Be sure to share! I'm excited to see those sunset pics! [emoji7]

• Like Like x 3
  6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Well I guess it's too late to mention but for the record, I found Recuva and it's great (and free). I'd accidentally wiped 100+ photos of my sister-in-law's visit last month and got them all back with it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Glad you got it worked out.

Recuva has saved me a few times, but I'm going to give Photo Recovery a look now, too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    So good to hear this worked out.

What an an awful feeling, great assist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah very sad to hear this in the beginning but very happy to hear you were able to recover your photos thanks to unlo's help :thumbsup:

10. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Thanks guys. I can't tell you how bad I was once I realized I pressed the "format" option and seen all my pics moving away. I'll probably never come back in such place unless my company send me here sometimes !
    Bright side, I backed up all my cards and decided to do so every day...

11. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And a really good backup step is to store the back-up off site in a safe deposit box or a home safe if you have one, etc.

12. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    Glad this had a happy ending, I'm paranoid about losing my pics, I've got two external drives that I backup at the same time and then put in separate locations, one in the house, one in the car. I figure in the event of fire, flood, earthquake, famine, rapture, blizzard, or other unforeseen event I'm covered.

13. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Good to read a happy ending. We're all human. Recuva had saved my shots when I had a brainfart moment. I now backup robotically after every day's shoot.
    Consider it a learning experience. Also looking forward to the photos from your trip!

14. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Sure. Some of them already posted on Flickr. Sooo many raw files waiting...

15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    wow just took a look at your flikr. AMAZING! so glad i could help out, your pictures are simply STUNNING!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Couldn't agree more, amazing stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  17. izTheViz

May 10, 2013