• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

I think I just wet myself...

This sounds pretty exciting for a camera 'rumored' to be in the $2500 range.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rumor-sony-a7iv-has-15-stops-of-dr/
Hmm. Depends on how dynamic range is measured. If they do it the DxOMark range (which is good IMHO) and evaluate dynamic range on a photo resized to 8 MP, then it's not all that spectacular. I'd be more interested if the A7m4 would offer a stacked sensor to enable fast AF, no-black-out finder and fast electronic shutter. If not, I'll pass, but I have to add that I will spend the big bucks on an A1 if I want specs like that.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Hmm. Depends on how dynamic range is measured. If they do it the DxOMark range (which is good IMHO) and evaluate dynamic range on a photo resized to 8 MP, then it's not all that spectacular. I'd be more interested if the A7m4 would offer a stacked sensor to enable fast AF, no-black-out finder and fast electronic shutter. If not, I'll pass, but I have to add that I will spend the big bucks on an A1 if I want specs like that.
I doubt those features will show up on the IV. However, it's 'supposed' to have the same latest and greatest focusing. Blackout doesn't bug me much because most of my burst shooting is pretty controlled. As an example, this shot is from a burst of 5 or 6, I pick the best one in the burst and discard the rest:

50389850821_0603fb1f33_b.jpg
   ---            
P1050294 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

You're not talking a little bit more $. The difference between the rumored price of the A7IV and the current price of the A1 is a couple of more cameras! That a lot of money to get the features you suggest.

And yeah, Sony has promised 15 stops before that don't hold up in testing. But it's important to me. First off, I would never crop that small. Except for a few occasions if I crop it's to correct a minor compositional error. Second, I do a lot of shooting in low light, like museums. My recent trip to a couple of caves had some very low light shooting. As much as I dislike shooting above native ISO, any extra DR is appreciated in those situations.

Latest threads

Top Bottom