I shot a wedding with my NEX-5

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Alowisney, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Alowisney

Alowisney TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Macon, GA USA
    My wife and I shot a wedding over the weekend, she was shooting with her Sony Alpha 350 and me with my NEX-5. I've been using my NEX-5 since April of this year, but this was the first serious test of the camera and my ability to use it. It was a frazzling day, but really well worth all the work.

I swapped between my 18-55 and 16; the 18-55 outdoors and with the flash indoors and the 16 for tight spaces indoors and when I needed to get really wide outdoors. I made a flash diffuser out of a opaque film canister by cutting a hole in the side for the front of the flash unit to stick into partially. The flash was still a little harsh, but it was that, or not getting the shot! I had a couple of instances where the camera couldn't focus fast enough for action in lower light with the 18-55mm, but other than that it functioned perfectly. The flash didn't charge quite fast enough at some points so I want to look into that new Sony NEX flash sometime soon. When I was shooting a lot of quick shots in succession the camera got hot on the bottom and back. I hinged the LCD up and out just in case, but it never malfunctioned. I wound up getting about 800 shots out of each battery and changed them out when they got down to around 15%. That was a pleasant surprise.

If we're going to be shooting any more weddings and especially if we're going to start shooting portraits I think I'll need to get the 50 f/1.8. My wife has the 50 f/1.8 in the Alpha mount and really loves it.

I only got one comment about my wife shooting "the fancy camera". People, especially where the wedding was, don't know much about photography and really didn't understand that my NEX-5 was as good as that Alpha 350.

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    The problem with the standard flash and the upgraded HVL-F20S flash is that BOTH use the camera's battery to charge the flash capacitor. In short, there is no flash option that offers extremely rapid flash cycling on the NEX-3, 5, C3 and 5N. The new NEX-7 with the ability to use Alpha flashes will be good for people who need a fast flash.

3. Alowisney

Alowisney TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Macon, GA USA
    Maybe that'll be my excuse to get one! :D 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.