I See Stars

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Sep 1, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    A few quick outputs from tonight's astrophotography. I have many more, but not the time to do anything with them tonight. These are my favorites, particularly #3 with the faint dust lanes from the Milky Way and the meteors. I kept the PP from the RAW files as minimalist as possible. The light on the big tree is from a mercury vapor lamp about 100' away. Minolta MD 28/2.8.

Tony

DSC06354v01_zps105c35e8.

DSC06357v01_zpsc0bfb93d.

DSC06364v01_zps920627dd.

DSC06366v01_zpsea93c8b4.

Attached Files:

2. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Another one I liked a lot:

DSC06365v01_zps495ba97f.

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    PS: I guess I'm dating myself . . . anyone remember what movie the title came from?

Tony

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The shots have a lot of promise, but that light on the tree to the left is distracting.

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    It was kind of a toss-up how to handle that. I didn't want to go to a very high ISO, and I did want the tree in some of the shots. I wanted to capture the light on the tree, but in order to get enough sky exposure, I had to accept the tree being brighter. In person, the tree was lit more subtly, but the Milky Way wasn't as visible, either. I'm not good enough with image processing software to doctor the images to adjust for the light on the tree.

Tony

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You didn't want to go to 'very hogh ISO'? How high did you go? Because I shoot my old NEX-5 at ISO 3200 all the time without any problem.

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
  8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I'll have to try image stacking the next time I do this. It just occurred to me I could have exposed just enough to get a faint glow on the tree, then increased the exposure incrementally until I got a good capture of the Milky Way. Don't know why I didn't think of that when I was there.

Tony

9. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    I like stars also..

m-4.

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I turned off all the lights around our house, and snapped some pics in my driveway for a while this evening. Living in a subdivision, I still got some glow from pole lights down the street, but I think these came out OK. All were at ISO 1600 and f/1.7 with the Yashinon-DX 45, and I tried a lot of different shutter times. 4s seemed to be the optimal speed.

Tony

Tony

Attached Files:

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Now those are nice

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Or just crop out the tree

13. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    No, I wanted the tree in a couple of them. The outbuilding was locked, so no way to shut off the pole light.