1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I really hate the guys from Nik Software...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Grisu_HDH, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    ... for making these great (and expensive) plugins!!! :biggrin:
    Cause I want them all!!!

I already own
    - Dfine 2.0 for noise reduction
    - Silver Efex Pro 1 for B&W

Now I have a 25 EUR savings coupon for a German online store and think about choosing another Nik product...
    What would you go for???
    - Color Efex Pro 3 Complete (version 4 is the newest one but far more expensive)
    - Viveza 1 (version 2 is the newest one but far more expensive) -> but not allowed for an update on version 2

Haven't testesd the trial versions yet cause if I like both probably I will start think about buying both... :(

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I need to try them out. I've never used any of the Nik stuff. I do have the complete Topaz collection though and I really like them. There's probably no reason for me to switch honestly.

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Or download them illegally for free ;) (KIDDING !)

4. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Well I think that's like Canon and Nikon... you like the one you use when the quality is ok but both are nearly the same product. So if you're happy don't try something new or you probably want to have it too...

I started with Nik cause I was lucky to get a free licence of Silver Efex 1 within a German photo magazine.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have both Viveza 2 and Color Efex Pro 4. There is some overlap between the two, but if I had to describe their differences, I'd say that Viveza is better for "improving" images, whereas Color Efex Pro is better for "manipulating" them.

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    lo :0

7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I have Color Efex Pro 4 and Silver Efex Pro 2 and am very happy, I think it was worth the purchase, it is very easy to use, so now do better in my photos with a bit PP.

8292207909_cbe25c1b87_c.
    Sandy Storm by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

Attached Files:

8. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Peter Chin is my real name.
    This is where your child or someone elses in college or university becomes useful especially if they're in an art program....the educational discounts do vary but they help a lot.

9. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    On this forum, h8 == <3, on Valentine's Day even. I h8 this forum ...

10. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I totally agree. Viveza 2 is at it's base more subtle than Color Efex 4.

11. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I thin I go more with Viveza than...
    Don't know if choosing Viveza 2 or if Viveza 1 would be enough for my needs.
    Viveza 1 would be half the price (50 EUR) when using the coupon I got...

12. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Is the coupon only good for Viveza 1?

13. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    If I had to pick a favorite Nik plugin beyond Silver Efex, it'd be HDR Efex Pro... It seems to lean more towards "subtle" looking HDR than the others.

14. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I have the Nik suite and the most used for me is Dfine, then Silver Efex, Viveza and Color Efex. I barely ever use the HDR one but I'm not really into that effect, even subtly.

They all have trial periods though. So you should download and give them a shot, especially trying to figure out if the previous generation is is worth getting instead of the current.

I also really like the OnOne software. It has a different control system and sometimes it's more suitable for what I'm trying to do.

I do have some worries about Nik being bought by Google as Google has bought companies before and let them languish, really only buying the companies for talent acquisition reasons but so far Google hasn't been a problem for Nik.

Snapseed (also by Nik) is under-rated. I think nianys does a lot shooting jpeg and tweaking in Snapseed. For the past month, everything I have been posting has been from Snapseed for iPad and I believe Deadbear is doing the same.

15. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    @Changsha: No, I can choose any product they have on stock, unfortunately this inline store does only have Viveza 1...

@Chuck: I would love to do so, but I can't run Lightroom 4 nor do I have CS6, so no compatible host program... that's why I stick with Photomatix.

16. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    You're Colin, because for about two weeks it's been all that's available to me. I'm finding it pretty good for most stuff.

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, when I'm out shooting with my iPhone, Snapseed is my #1 image tweaking app. It's almost to the point where I could delete every photo app except Snapseed and the PureShot camera app.

(Well, maybe I'd keep Simply B&W too). :rolleyes:

18. abmj

abmj New to TalkEmount

Mar 6, 2013
    It seems the OP has probably already purchased a plug-in but, for what it is worth, I have the entire NIK suite. Over the last couple of years, the plug-ins I use the most are ColorFX Pro 4 and Sharpener Pro 3. I used to use Define 2.0 but have since found that I like Topax Denoise 5 much better for reducing noise. Just FWIW.

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Good to know info. And welcome to the forum. :)

20. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    I have the whole suite too. I used Define before I switched from Aperture to Lightroom, but Lightroom's NR is so good that I do all NR before doing any Nik edits. At this point the only programs I use are Silver Efex Pro for all of my B&W work and the combination of Viveza and Color Efex Pro for color. You really kind of need both Viveza and Color Efex Pro to get the same types of options for color as you do with Silver Efex Pro for B&W. You can do a lot of fine tuning and subtle stuff with Viveza, but the really fun filters are all in Color Efex Pro. I rarely if ever use any of the other plug-ins, but I think its still cheapest to buy the whole suite than just cherry picking 3 or 4.

-Ray