i need help using the Sony HVL-F43M flash as a off camera flash on a6000

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by oreitan13, Oct 23, 2014.

1. oreitan13

oreitan13 New to TalkEmount

Oct 23, 2014

i got as present my first flash (Sony HVL-F43M) and after playing with a little i wont to start using it as an off camera flash. so i am looking for a way to remotely activate it. i will like to now what are my options.
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Without buying additional stuff? The optical sensor. Just set your HVL-F43M to the corresponding mode (not sure how exactly this mode is called in Sony branded flashes), activate the built-in flash in your A6000 and you're good to go. You need to set the output level of the HVL manually, though. If you don't want the built-in flash to emit too much light, you could buy an IR clamp - cheap and very effective at cutting down the visible light of a flash.

You want full Sony eTTL support? Buy another HVL-F43M as master.

You want a more reliable system, but are okay with setting output power manually? Buy a trigger system. A single trigger and controller can be had for as low as €60 from Yongnuo, for example.
  3. oreitan13

oreitan13 New to TalkEmount

Oct 23, 2014
    you can't tiger the HVL-43M with the pup-up flash on the A6000.
    i don't have problem setting the power manually but evry trigger system in Yongnuo website is for Canon or Nikon and not for Sony.
    can you recommend one trigger system the will work with the a6000 and my flash
  4. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
  5. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    At his point, every wireless remote i know of may end up having issues with the new Sony MIS shoe ( wether on Alpha A58/A99/A77 II, or NEX-6/A3000/A6000 )
    The only triggers i know of at this point that will have MIS shoe will be the new Phottix Odin's ( but one set is basically the same price as a F43M flash)

To trigger your HVL-F43M in WL mode, you need one of the following:
    HVL-F20AM with ADP-MAA adapter
    HVL-F43AM with ADP-MAA adapter
    HVL-F58AM with ADP-MAA adapter

Or one of the new Metz Flashes with MIS shoe: 44AF-1 or 52AF-1 or the new new 64AF-1

With any of these, you will get WL TTL/Manual and if you get a 2nd 43M (or a 60M), you will also be able to do ratio lighting in WL ( specifying a different power ratio from the control flash to the remote flash)

If i were you, i would try to find a used HVL-F20M to start with unless you think you will be really serious about using multi flash in which case a 2nd 43 or one of the Metz would do
  6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    The Metz 44 AF-1 can NOT be used as a master.

And the HVL-F43M can be triggered by any flash, as long as you rely on the optical sensor - no eTTL. That's how I use my Metz flashes currently.
  7. ryanlio

ryanlio TalkEmount Regular

Mar 13, 2014
    Sony pixel king + Ada-maa works great with hss.
  8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Try a used HVL-F20M as a trigger with the F43M off of the camera. Probably around $100. It is also a decent little flash in its own right, easy to pocket. Damn AAA batteries though, and you can't fold it flat to store it without turning it on.