1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I need a ball head for my nex-6. I got the manfrotto tripod with a monopod head

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by shaolin95, Aug 21, 2013.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    So I have this second hand Manfrotto which is sturdy but the head is a monopod one so I dont really use it. I need a cheap, best bang for the buck, head to use with it.
    Any recommendations?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Giottos has a couple that should work for you. My only advice is to get one that has separate ball and pan control knobs. One knob ball heads are extremely annoying to use. A friction control knob for the ball is optional, but I've never felt the need for one.

3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks.
    I just got one as I needed it fast and for $20 at BB it was not bad looking but I cant figure out how to remove the old one! I got this tripod used but I guess I need to twist it but it aint turning :/

Attached Files:

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Check the underside of the center column mount plate. It may have set screws that need to be backed off before the head can be unscrewed.

5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Nothing that I can see there either. I tried as hard as I could to turn it but not even a millimeter :/

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Whack it a few times against something hard. That might break it free enough to unstick it. And if that doesn't work, and you don't care about preserving the old monopod head, then break out the pipe wrench.

7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I will try that. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing something silly lol

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have that monopod head. There is just a threaded hole in the base. I suggest WD40 (with pipette) when the monopod head is upright position. There is a rubber mat between the head and base plate.

9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Wd40 did the trick.
    Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I317 using TalkNEX mobile app

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
  11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Keep the monopod head, it is very good with monopods and occasionally very handy with tripods too.

12. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Indeed, I got a cheaper pistol one on sale at BB (well more like price matching) which I like a lot but I dont think it is as sturdy so I will keep it since where I live , winds are pretty strong. :)

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    My pistol head has got friction adjustment. It is the Manfrotto old one copy. It is via hex screw and not the adjustment screw in the middle of handle.