1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I may be abandoning E-mount . . .

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TonyTurley, Mar 5, 2016.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I've been spending a lot of time looking at potential replacements for my A7, comparing them on camerasize.com. Although the IBIS and more substantial build of the A7II sound appealing, I really don't want to go bigger/heavier. In fact, I like smaller cameras. My OM-D E-M5 has given me great service, and I personally can't tell the difference in IQ between it, my previous NEX-6, and the A7 when I look at prints hanging on my walls. I also like its weather-sealed ruggedness. I've had it out in freezing rain, and had trees dump snow on me and the camera while hiking. No, you can't pull quite as much detail from the shadows, but that's not a big deal to me.

I have no E-mount lenses of any type, just a bunch of adapters for different legacy mounts. I'm sort of torn, because the NEX-5R was my introduction to MILCs, and I got a lot of great photos from that camera, as well as the other E-mount cameras I've owned. OTOH, portability, rugged build, and weather sealing are important to me, and Sony has nothing that checks all of those boxes. I really don't think a rugged, weather-sealed smaller Sony is ever going to come to market. I'm leaning toward getting a used E-M1 or E-M5 MK II, and leaving my legacy lenses for use on my various film cameras.

TT

• Like Like x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not being tied to lens would help the transition even easier.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Tony - I would miss you, but based on what you are saying, unless you care about my feelings or others it seems like the right choice to make. I like you don't particularly care for bigger bodies, so the whole A7II feels better in your hand really doesn't appeal to me at the price of size and weight.The EM5/EM1 are definitely great cameras. Unlike the A7, I have never seen someone complain about the ergonomics and build quality of the EM1. That said, unlike you, I am in love with the latitude, dynamic range, and IQ I get from Sony. I really couldn't see giving those things up, but if those things don't matter to you, then I'm not sure Sony has any other advantages. Bottom line, go with what you think will give you the most pleasure and if we lose you, it's for a good reason. Good luck with your choice.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    They make different cameras for different people - I can understand the appeal of the EM1 and micro four thirds system personally. The camera system that I've bonded with most in the last number of years has been the EM1. You don't need to explain yourself to anybody :). Bonding with a particular camera or system is important and goes a long way to inspiring you to taking your camera out and shooting more.
    I regret selling my EM1. Weather sealing and durability were fantastic and are reasons I'd consider buying an EM1 with pro lens 12-40 over the A7ii with the 24-70. However it was more for the rugged build than anything for me that does it with the EM1.
    Best of luck :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks guys. As another forum member once said, it's all just hardware and personal preference. Mine have changed. Although it's not weather sealed, I 've rented the new Oly Pen F for a few days just to check it out.

TT

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Cameras and lenses are just the tools. And one must have the right tool for their job. Best of luck to you. And don't be a stranger...I don't think the folks will mind seeing a few nice shots from the Olympus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    You do mean toys, don't you :D
    B&H released this video.

The massage I hear here is " it's not the size or make of the camera it's what you do with it........."

• Like Like x 1
  8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. In examining my history, I have bought and sold numerous cameras over the past 5 years. The only one that has stayed with me long term and gets regular use is the E-M5.

I'm not going to disappear completely from this board. I'm a member of several of Amin's forums, so I'll pop in from time to time. You folks do good work.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Just curious... do you do many high ISO shots ? That was one of the main reasons I went with E-mount rather than MFT. But I am still curious if there may be less real life difference than I thought.

10. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Just chiming in as an A7 and E-M5 II owner. I like both and the bigger sensor does have some advantages over the smaller M43 sensor, but the E-M5 II is definitely at peak form for a small sensor camera. Strangely enough I prefer the E-M5 II for low light work due to access to small fast lenses, very good IBIS and the 0 sec. anti-shock. I'm able to shoot very slow shutter scenes with ease.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

We'll miss you, Tony, but it sounds like you know what you need to do. I still shoot my E-M5 beside my A7rII and enjoy both. But I understand the size issue. I definitely prefer the design of the original A7 over the II models.

12. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sounds familiar to an ex-Nikon sherpa. Just grab the stuff that resonates best with your needs and preferences, be open to changes and shoot the .... out of it.

Perfectly understandable, I've got one lying around here. It's one heck of a camera as long as you stick with native m43 glass but IMO the NEX is a better platform for my beloved legacy glass; that's why it's still here.
    Anyway, looking forward to meeting you here or somehere else on the WWW. Keep those airport shots coming in :).

13. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Sorry to see you go, Tony. I won't be active on Mu-43 because I left µ4/3 years ago so probably won't meet you there. Anyway, I wish you all the best!

14. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    No, I sometimes play around with astrophotography, but it's not often. I am mostly a natural light photographer.

I decided to go with the E-M1. It is about the same size as the A7, but the lens size will still make for a nice small package. I don't own any of the heavy "Pro" m4/3 lenses. At one time I had the premium Zuiko 4/3 50-200 ED lens, but it was just too big and heavy to make sense.

Thanks Mike. I'll still pop in from time to time.

Will do. I have several film cameras I use from time to time, and that's where I'll keep using my legacy glass.

Thanks Ad. I'll still post in the "Other Systems" forum, and likely comment every now and then in one of the E-mount threads if I see a photo I really like. I'm not going away completely - just switching toys . . . . errrrm, tools. :D

Tony

• Like Like x 2
  15. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    The A7Rii (and A7ii) are both the same size in fact ever so slightly smaller then the Oly EM-1 although the EM5ii is smaller then the A7xxx.
    I have the EM5ii + a whole range of m43 lenses and also the A7Rii with 4 primes and really if you are happy using 2 or 3 primes then the A7xx is still a compact rig to carry about.
    The EM5ii is a lovely camera too (a real step up from the EM5 original) and its my intention to keep both systems, at least for the moment.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  16. MAubrey

This is a good point. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record all over these threads, the Techart AF adapter for Contax G lenses, gives you access to good AF with lenses comparable in size to the best μ43 primes. The Planar 45mm f/2 is actually smaller than the 25mm f/1.4 and the Sonnar 90mm f/2.8 is just a bit longer than the 45mm f/1.8. Both give equal or better IQ wide open while also providing superior background blur and bokeh. And the pricing isn't a whole lot different for the two lenses even with the adapter. The 90mm can be regularly had on Ebay for less than $200 ($100 less than a used 45mm) and the 45mm can be had for $325 (about the same as a used 25mm...maybe a little cheaper). The adapter is $250.

If you have an A7II or A7rII, a kit made up of the Sony 28mm f/2, Contax G 45mm f/2, and Contax G 90mm f/2.8 would be superb low cost trinity.

Just sayin'

• Informative Informative x 3
  17. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Okay, mea culpa, I have to admit that I've been casting an eye towards the Olympus OM-D E-M10 or E-M10ii quite a bit lately myself. The reason is simple: stabilization. And I have a specific need in mind that E-mount doesn't really meet - launch photography, i.e., space vehicle launch photography.

We've been making one or more trips to Florida each year the past several years and a few of those trips have included stops at Cape Canaveral. Four and a half years ago I had the great good fortune to observe the last Space Shuttle launch, and that event was the reason I picked up my Sony HX100V super-zoom bridge camera, which all led into my interest in bigger and better sensor cameras. And now I have it in my mind to sync up some of our trips to Florida to catch some more rocket launches (the pace of launches seems to be picking up once again) and try my hand at getting some decent photos of them. However, as the public viewing areas near the Cape are miles from the launch pads for obvious safety reasons, super-long telephoto is the order of the day for such photography. And that is one area where cropped sensors like APS-C, m43, and 1" have a big advantage over full frame. It's also something that I've learned (courtesy of my legacy MD-mount Vivitar 120-600mm f/5.6-8) requires serious stabilization. So adapting long telephoto lenses to APS-C E-mount is tricky at best (hmmm, maybe I need a heavier tripod), and the longest E-mount zoom is the E 55-210 or the FE 24-240... not quite enough for viewing at multiple mile distances (i.e., 2.5 - 11 miles).

Going the A7Xii full-frame route (which I'd otherwise love to do) means losing 50% of the "magnification" on the telephoto end, and also increases the cost of bodies and lenses substantially. And as Sony has yet to offer an APS-C E-mount body with IBIS - for reasons I might be able to understand from their viewpoint - that has me casting my eye in other directions, namely the affordable OM-D E-M10 and E-M10ii with their nice 2x crop factor, 3- and 5-axis in-body image stabilization, and wide range of available lenses at long telephoto ranges. My other option for this specific use-case might be to try A-mount and pick up a used A58 or A65 along with a used long lens or two. That might be a good choice if I want to eventually also go the FE route for my daily use camera.

Okay, stepping off confessional soapbox.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I always wanted an E-M5 but never really needed one. As mentioned above I finally got one anyway and enjoy it immensely for a number of reasons, one of them being the light and compact telephoto lenses. Back home we have all sorts of ships and oil rigs constantly moving in and out of the harbor or sometimes anchoring somewhere out there, all at least one or two miles from the nearest viewing points on land. I regularly pass these points on my regular walks back home from the city center and I wouldn't want to carry any of my longer legacy lenses in my daypack or heaven forbid a heavy tripod. I'll definitely take my time to figure out what else that little camera is good for.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I just want to chime in that I have an E-M5 II and the 5-axis IBIS in combination with the 0 sec. anti-shock feature works great. It's a two edged sword in that it allows me to shoot extremely slow shutter photos with no motion blur or shutter shock with wide angle lenses and when shooting telephoto lenses, I'm able to shoot great distances and nail extremely sharp pictures. If you plan on shooting telephoto lenses, I highly recommend getting one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MAubrey

Second on an E-Mx for telephoto. I'm still in the system for that. Even as I've slowly switched over, I've kept the 75mm f/1.8 and I've added the 150mm f/2.

• Like Like x 1