1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I love my A7ii But.......

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by malboni, Mar 6, 2016.

1. malboni

malboni New to TalkEmount

Feb 2, 2016
    If there is a real spoiler in owning Sony full frame gear it has to be the cost of FE lenses.
    Are there any other manufacturers that offer FE mount lenses with full function and AF.
    I don't really want to go down the converter route but come on Sony, maybe make a range of slightly slower glass that we can all afford

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Amen!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I hear you and agree with you!

4. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Can I hop on this bandwagon? A family of f/2.8 primes at a more affordable price would be nice. I prefer contextual OOF over pastel blob OOF. When I look at my Dad's old less, I see that he did very well with f/2.8. And he was shooting film at ISO 25 to ISO 100 almost all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Well, I'd still like 2.0, assuming it would sharpen up at 2.8, but small(ish) and affordable would be most important.

6. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    This is the very reason why I'm using all MF glass on the A7!

7. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    The real spoiler is when you try leica glass :(

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    This is why one should never get into a new system without a proper analysis of available lenses. Based on the existing lenses, I don't expect "cheaper" f2.8 or f1.8 lenses to show up.

9. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Honestly, the best route to take for compact AF glass is the Techart Contax G AF adapter...if you have an A7II or an A7rII. The 35mm f/2, 45mm f/2, and 90mm f/2.8 are all excellent on the camera and super small.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    How much money you can/want to spend on photo gear is a very personal thing. I started with the A7 thinking I could make do with my array of Minolta legacy lenses only to end up buying the three native FE f/4 zooms one after the other. I mean, you can't always predict how you'll get along with a system, no matter how much you analyze before you enter it. For my limited area of interest I can't find a reason now to buy other FE lenses. I'd bite if someone would come up with an excellent AF prime in the 40-45mm range with a speed of at least f/2.8, preferably f/2.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Sure it is personal. What I was saying above was that the existing f2.8 and f1.8 prime FE lenses are not cheap, as they are Sony Zeiss type. Based on that, I would expect future releases of more lenses in that range not to be cheap either.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

There's the 28mm f/2. Don't give up hope. It's retail price is $50 less than Canon's 28mm f/1.8 and $150 less than Nikon's 28mm f/1.8. It's still a new system. Sony's likely views the lower end as covered by the zooms and now they're going for the high end. moderate speed primes are smack dab in the middle. They'll get to them.

• Agree Agree x 1