I like this community

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by dixeyk, Nov 30, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    It's welcoming, low key and a lot of fun. Thanks everyone. :cool:

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    I think we can than YOU, Kevin, for being such a pillar of it.
    This board seems to be knowing a pretty fast growth these days, and I don't see it as a coincidence.
    Incidentally, a community can be perceived as a plus or minus for a specific camera platform. As much as I loved the GX-1 itself, a very special little camera I truly bonded with, most of the m4/3 crowd did NOT resonate well with me (I'm not saying they're ALL bad, just that there is a blooming bunch of pretty hard cases), and as weird as it sounds, was a real negative and part of the reason I took off running outta m4/3...

I think this specific board will attract more and more people by its civility, good humor, will to share and help, and general humble demeanor towards the craft. Here there is no problem being a total noob. But lazy geeks pixel peeping, whining and blaming the gear for bad photos will not be very well received. Around here we've all pretty much embraced the fact we make our photos, the camera is only a tool doing so. I also LOVE the fact that all models and gens of the NEX are represented, and I have yet to feel any superior or bragging attitude about having the latest and greatest. In fact, we even have folks switching back from a "high end" to a "middle of the pack" model for personal convenience.
    So yes, I think we are very lucky to have this community, and for those who would doubt it, just take a peep at the other NEX boards out there and weep ;) (latest post title that made me cringe, from a famous DPR troll : "Should I buy the 6, I ditched the 5N for bad sking tones". No comment).
  3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I like this place because it's a true international (global) community, yet having a common denominator - the NEX.

I especially appreciate those of us here who don't speak English as a first language. It must be hard to write stuff, but that hasn't stopped them from sharing and enriching us so much with a wide variety of cultural and photographic perspectives. I have seen a lot of stuff from around the world... and even just one picture says a thousand words I hear...
  4. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Amen. I stuck with NEX for two reasons; the IQ, best in mirrorless, for the 'holy s**t factor when you open the files and also because of this forum. So many kind, supportive, helpful and truly talented folk, comrades. Thank you all.
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    You guys start singin' Kumbayah and I'm outta here!

Just kidding, you think I'd let you off that easily? LOL

There is a certain sense of community that exist here and not other places. It's nice to be a part of it. :)
  6. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Mutual appreciation society ! *slaps own back* :)
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I bought my humble Nex-5 (1st gen) accidentally a few months ago not knowing ANYTHING about photography and joined here only to be a reader not poster as I first was "scared"/emparrased to post my noob shots...

What made me the biggest good impression (besides the very talented members/great photos) was the friendly atmosphere and relaxing vibe in this community. Everybody seemed very modest and willing to help out a noob, give some suggestions and constructive critisim without the usual internet forum "flamming".
    Even the buy-sell forum is so "true" that I'm actually not scared in buying anything and getting ripped-off.

I may not take the best photos or still know much about photography in general but after a few months I feel that I have learned a lot by you guys and girls and at least now I'm not emparrased to post some of my photos to hear your suggestions :)

In the end, you guys are great and I'm glad I met you (even behing a PC screen). It's my honor to be part of such a great community - THANK YOU ;)
  8. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    Well, a little back patting is always better than some of the truly insane and totally unexpected hostility I've met in some other boards (non NEX). As of this morning an obvious m4/3 fan made a very noxious comment on my own blog about how my pictures were "even worse" since I got NEX, bla bla... Some of those folks (the guy's a very good photog himself by the way, which surprised me quite a bit) will actually chase you across the web to spread their hatred. Nuts.
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Sadly some people are unable to maintain a level of respect towards other people who do not share their point of view, and this gets worse since a photograph is a subjective medium.
  10. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    You know, there are a lot of good cameras out there these days and nothing perfect. Everyone chooses a camera based on a number of factors, many of which are personal preferences. For those people who enjoy talking about these things with others on forums and the like, a welcoming and friendly community with whom to share trials and tribulations can make a big difference in the after purchase enjoyment factor.

I don't spend as much time here as some, but as someone who is a relative newbie (nooby? :)) with photography as a hobby and who has had some difficulty choosing a first interchangeable lens camera, having a place like this to go to ask questions and read about and learn from the diverse experiences of others (as well as view some great images to remind me what the camera is capable of in the right hands and why I purchased a NEX to begin with) has been very helpful.

No Kum bah Yah or self admiration/mutual appreciation society :), but a thank you to everyone here. I hope the forum can continue to attract like-minded people and maintain the current friendly atmosphere as it grows.
  11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I will refrain from commenting about other boards, but yes, TalkNEX is a fantastic, wonderful place to be. And it certainly has livened up of late, long may that continue!
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    This does seem like quite a friendly place, but certainly the small size of the community plays a major role in that.
  13. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    Every forum has its own vibe; it's not often that I feel as comfortable posting on one as a newbie as I have here. Good people, good information!
  14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    Smaller size of community certainly does play a part. Now that it's growing it's up to each and one of us to keep it the way we like it.
  15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    The biggest thing is the lack of, "my pictures are better than your pictures," attitude.

When there are critiques they are helpful in nature and not mean spirited.
  16. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Actually, your pictures are better than my pictures ;)

Claire, what a ridiculous thing, and totally blooming rude, to post on any blog! I was reading one of your articles on my laptop the other day and my husband walked by 'that's an amazing photo' he said. (a picture of your daughter, I might add). I think complimentary comments from a lay person are pretty indicative of what's good....he never says that about mine!
  17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    Ah ah, lol, thanks for the compliment ! I really didn't care about the nasty comment because the guy is an obvious m4/3 troll trying to pick a fight. He went at it again after I made a good humored reply to his first comment, so I just trashed him altogether. The only thing that saddens me is that he has awesome pictures to show, and instead of sheer hostility, from a good photog' I would liked constructive critiscism.
  18. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Absolutely, so despite being a great photographer he is obviously a p*g.
  19. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    I got my m4/3 feet wet on Amin's m4/3 site, now I'm moving over here. I agree 100%, great atmosphere.
  20. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Communities are a delicate thing and they rely heavily on their members. I have been part of several online communities and what I see here is a place that is remarkably free of ego and even when we do pop in with the "this vs that" thread or talk about our "latest acquisitions" the focus is most often about the making of images as opposed to simply the gear itself. For a gear centric site it is amazing how often the gear seems to take a back seat to the experience. I love how we share, encourage one another and I for one am thrilled to be part of what is gong on here.