1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I keep reading at how the NEX series is terrible at tracking moving targets

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by justaguy93, Oct 13, 2013.

1. justaguy93

justaguy93 TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 1, 2013
    Wisconsin
    But honestly after a test run this afternoon, the 5R I am learning to use seems to handle them every bit as well as my D80 did. In fact with the 10fps continuous mode I was able to get significantly more keepers of both my pets and 3 year old running around than I would have with my dSLR. Maybe those going from a pro dSLR body might notice a bigger falloff in AF tracking but so far I'm not noticing a huge difference.

DSC01604-1.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That works! :)

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Ah......
    No offense but the D80 was announced in 2006...:blush:

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You do realize though that you don't get ANY focus tracking at the 10 fps mode and that you got your keepers because of the big depth of field? NEX cameras are terrible at tracking subjects, and comparing them to a camera from 2006 doesn't help either.

5. justaguy93

Oct 1, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Ah I misunderstood then. I thought only exposure locked in that mode.

So I was essentially pre focusing the whole time and then disengaging the AF? Interesting.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using TalkNEX mobile app

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

The end result is still a great photo.

Where the issues begin is in low light, fast paced action.

• Like Like x 1
  7. justaguy93

Oct 1, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Dave, at least if I'm looking like a fool here I look like one who can get a good photo here and there ;)

This is really throwing me though since I was shooting photos of people/animals running towards me, which should get them out of DoF almost instantly if AF is not functioning. So I downloaded the handbook for the 5R off of Sony's site and found this on page 55 under Spd Priority Cont.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Continuing to adjust the focus and exposure during Speed Priority Continuous Shooting

Set [Autofocus Mode] to [Continuous AF] (page 83).
    Set [AEL w/ shutter] to [Off] (page 129).
    • If the Phase Detection AF does not work, the camera does not continue to adjust the focus even if you set [Autofocus Mode] to [Continuous AF].
    • The exposure for the first image is set when you press the shutter button halfway down.

The camera continues to adjust the exposure for the remaining images.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However the manual for the 3/5 I found earlier did state that focus and exposure were fixed once the first shot was taken.

Is it possible this changed with the 5R/6 models?

Bear with me on this, I'm still learning this system :/

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Interesting Sony upgraded this. Well, with shallower depth of field it's still crap, and I wouldn't want to shoot without AEL when half pressing the shutter, but at least they made it possible. ^^ But yeah, pre-focusung always worked great, and you can't expect a small NEX to be as good at tracking focus as a 1D X anyway.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I was in your place last year. Keep at it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    It also depends on the lens. In low light I would use my Sigmas for object tracking with some success, while Sony 50/1.8 is basically dead meat, and 18-55 while still capable of tracking pushes me into unreasonable ISO and shutter speeds. Now, on still subjects, it's Sony prime all the way. So if the AF on Sony 35/1.8 is much faster / no hunting vs 50, it could probably be very decent in focus tracking.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1