I just ordered a 50mm f/1.8 OSS

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by slothead, Mar 1, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I'm really curious why this lens is so inexpensive ($298). I learned the value of the stabilized (OSS) lenses when testing my Sony a5100 over the weekend, and the stabilization is really valuable given the low mass of the small camera. It's a fairly fast lens too, which also makes me wonder about the price. Can anyone tell me why it's priced they way it is?

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Firstly, I wish to state that low-cost does not equate to being cheaply-made. Since this lens' performance and quality are superb. I love mine and it never fails to deliver in low light situations.
    I suspect it's low price tag is due to being made in China, as opposed to some of the SEL lenses being from Thailand. Low labor cost, fewer export restrictions, and mass volume sales will allow them to keep the price low.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    Chinese products are always less costly and there's a reason for that. This isn't a political forum so I'll shut up now.

4. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    whitout going into politics :)

Arent 50mm lens easier to make? I'm talking about the optical formula. Part of the deal with the nifty fifties?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Old ideas. Made in China doesn't necessarily mean poor quality anymore. The manufacturing infrastructure in China's economic zones is incredible. You need some widgets? Order them and get them right away because the widget factory is down the street from yours. Although worker salaries are higher than Thailand, China still cannot be beat in efficiency so costs are lower.

Still, the 50 1.8 seems to be an outlier. I've heard that 50mm lenses are the easiest to manufacture but the cost to quality (of the photos) is incredible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, but the design is different for mirrorless. My Canon 50 1.8 costed $70 and it buzzes when it af and no stabilization. From an old Sigma interview:
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/24...have-survived-because-we-make-unique-products
    Sigma has not so far made any fast mirrorless lenses other then the ones adapter from dp series with f2.8 apertures. Also it is harder to make a bigger sensor lens compared to smaller sensors since the lens elements become bigger.

Made in China vs Made in Japan doesn't make a difference, eg my 50mm OSS was making sound with limited use and Sony replaced it under warranty with another refurb lens and similarly my RX100 (made in Japan) broke also after 2 years of on and off use... They use the same production quality ctrl and assurance practices.

7. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Excellent choice...extremely sharp.

8. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    A great lens. Stopped down at f/4 is just amazing

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I love my SEL50. It, and the newer-to-me Sigma 30 Art, spend the most time on my camera. And I'd venture the opinion that those two lenses are probably the two "best bang for your buck" lenses in the whole E-mount lineup.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Enjoy the lens. :)

It is one of the better bargins out there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I love the colors this lens renders.