I just lost interest in the rumored Nikon mirrorless system

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JJJPhoto, Sep 16, 2011.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    As a former Nikon shooter I have been interested in the rumors around Nikon's upcoming mirrorless camera system. However, the fact that it will use an image sensor smaller than the one used in the m4/3 cameras and only slightly larger than the one used in the Pentax Q is a bad call by Nikon.

I just found some image samples from the Pentax Q at quesabesde.com:

Google Translate

If you click the link to view the full-size image gallery, the ISO 200 studio sample looks like the ISO 1600 studio sample that Quesabesde shot from the NEX-5!!!

As much as I want a mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses, I also want DSLR-quality image sensors. I barely consider my m4/3 cameras good enough in terms of high ISO ... why would I want an even smaller image sensor?

2. Alowisney

Alowisney TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Macon, GA USA
    When I saw the Pentax Q system announced, I could only ask "Why?" Why would you want to have such a tiny sensor on an interchangeable lens system? I can't imagine anyone actually buying it. If Nikon is following suit, I think m43 cameras and Sony's NEX cameras don't have anything to worry about from the competition.

3. Knikki

Knikki TalkEmount Rookie

Do you remember the Pentax Auto 110?

auto110-01.

I am not sure how successful it was but it had a production run from 1978 ~ 1985 so they must have sold a few and it worked surprisingly well for a camera taking 110 film :)

Maybe Pentax Q is the re carnation of the 110?

As for the Nikon not sure why they would use a smaller chip unless they are utilising chips from there compacts instead of creating a new one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.