I just lost interest in the rumored Nikon mirrorless system

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JJJPhoto, Sep 16, 2011.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    As a former Nikon shooter I have been interested in the rumors around Nikon's upcoming mirrorless camera system. However, the fact that it will use an image sensor smaller than the one used in the m4/3 cameras and only slightly larger than the one used in the Pentax Q is a bad call by Nikon.

I just found some image samples from the Pentax Q at quesabesde.com:

Google Translate

If you click the link to view the full-size image gallery, the ISO 200 studio sample looks like the ISO 1600 studio sample that Quesabesde shot from the NEX-5!!!

As much as I want a mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses, I also want DSLR-quality image sensors. I barely consider my m4/3 cameras good enough in terms of high ISO ... why would I want an even smaller image sensor?
  2. Alowisney

Alowisney TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Macon, GA USA
    When I saw the Pentax Q system announced, I could only ask "Why?" Why would you want to have such a tiny sensor on an interchangeable lens system? I can't imagine anyone actually buying it. If Nikon is following suit, I think m43 cameras and Sony's NEX cameras don't have anything to worry about from the competition.
  3. Knikki

Knikki TalkEmount Rookie

Do you remember the Pentax Auto 110?

I am not sure how successful it was but it had a production run from 1978 ~ 1985 so they must have sold a few and it worked surprisingly well for a camera taking 110 film :)

Maybe Pentax Q is the re carnation of the 110?

As for the Nikon not sure why they would use a smaller chip unless they are utilising chips from there compacts instead of creating a new one.