I have this flaw...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SRHEdD, Feb 16, 2017.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    ... I have to buy Sony stuff for my Sonys, Nikon stuff for Nikon, etc. I've never owned an "after-market" lens or flash. Even my filters are Sony/Zeiss. I read the reviews for other brands, but I can't bring myself to buying accessories or lenses that aren't brand-matching.

Except for one thing.

DSC00031.

If you haven't tried a Lensmate thumb grip on your A6xxx camera, you should. It is made exceptionally well, fits perfectly, and makes a world of difference in handling. It swings out of the way intuitively after a couple of days' use and makes your grip more secure. It was like $60, but it is the first thing I order for a new A6xxx body now.

I do not own or have a monetary relationship with the company. I promise.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I bought one for my Fuji (130€, lol) and the black in the thumb area started to wear off after just 2 weeks of usage. Just sayin' ...

3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    When I saw your post title I thought to myself "Gee, only one! How lucky can a guy get?"

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Nah, it is one of many I'm happy to say. Flaws make us human.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    The one for my A6000 never showed that kind of wear during the life of the A6000 in my bag. Did you regularly wear gloves or something?

6. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I assume (always a bad thing to do) that it's made out of aluminum and if so is it painted or anodized?
    If they hard anodized it (which they probably didn't because it's pricey EDIT: They do hard anodize it, good on them) you'd never wear off the color under normal use. Unless of course you have 'acid' hands, in which case you'd best be wiping it down daily when using it or it'll corrode badly in short time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  7. Nexnut

Nope. I was just a little surprised at how fast it went - only in the thumb area though, the rest still looks like new (almost).

8. Nexnut

Mine is made of brass, chemically blackened/burnished.

9. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Let them know, and that there was a discussion here. I bet they'd replace it.

10. Nexnut

Too late (3+ years) and no big deal. Sooner or later the blackening will wear off anyway but I'll probably never waste 130€ on a %&$§ thumb rest again.

11. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Funny, the only accessory I really thrived for to be from first party is the camera straps. Nothing fancy, just the yellow on grey Nikons, red on black Pentax etc. My lenses, flash and other stuff though needs to fit the bill and do what I need it too and be within the right performance/price range as well as fit my budget, thought that has to be stretched occasionally.

12. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    My budget is tighter than...well, let's just not go there. My 'stuff' is mostly second hand, but I did splurge on a new UV filter for the new 28mm when I got it. Read what I thought was a very informative review of a lot of different manufacturer's brands and ended up with a Hoya HMC.
    Touch wood, so far I've been very fortunate/lucky to fall into some nice deals that I could afford too.

13. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I hear you and stretching it does hurt like........... :D

14. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    As a substitute for spending money I don't really have or need to, I've taken to trying to use the stuff I have as best I can.
    Maybe I'll even get good at taking pictures one day...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nexnut

:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  16. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I do not think I own a lot of gear, but almost everything I have purchased has been used. If you are careful, you can even do well on ebay, though I prefer places like talkemount. And there is keh.com which has always exceeded expectations for me, but tends to be a little more expensive than individual sales. Fortunately, enough people dispose of their purchases that I can often pick up decent gear used for a fraction of the original price. For lenses at least, if I turn around and sell it, I lose little if anything from my purchase price. And some of the legacy glass works incredibly well (for me anyway) on modern bodies.

Maybe if I had the disposable income I would buy more new stuff, but used has worked well enough. At this point, I think most of the "could be better" refers to me and not the gear.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Now stick on of these on your shutter release button, and your journey to the dark side will be complete :jedi:.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
  19. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Oh, and I never said it had to be NEW. I'm hell on pawn shops in the area, craigslist, eBay and refurbs. I saved a few hundred bucks on my A7RII by shopping it out and being patient.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    It looks like that would interfere with using the mode dial.

And I have my quirks. I had to buy an old minolta branded leather bag for all my minolta lenses. And I need minolta caps for them. They're all cheap on ebay. Except for the lenses, sometimes.

• Like Like x 1