1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I had to do this!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by slothead, Mar 20, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Yesterday (or maybe the day before) the subject came up of big old Nikkor glass, and I posted a picture that was originally posted on the Mu43 forum (Amin will probably remember this).

P6180342a1_zps6ac20afd.

But wait, this isn't exactly why I created this thread!

Instead, posting this image (discussing the big old Nikkor glass), I knew I had to hang that Nikkor 85mm/f1.4 prime on the Sonys too.

So I did that, just so all could see the esthetics of these combinations. (I also took a couple example images using these camera/lens combos, but the results are so different I didn't want to infer a difference in the camera capabilities that could really be the result of my poor performance in this sloppy test.)

This first image is of the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 on the a6000.

DSC00098a1_zpscpytnhpj.

The image below is the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 on the a5100.

DSC00018a1_zpss09db2id.

(If you notice the difference in color of the counter top in these images, you will understand my earlier comment about my poor performance.)

This glass is a gigantic waste (as it was on the Oly) because it is a FX/FF lens feeding an APS-C sensor... Now when that new E-mount FF configuration makes its debut in a couple months, the combination will get a different perspective!

These images were taken in available light with overhead compact fluorescents, before sunrise (so no sunlight contributed by nearby windows), and fair amount of post-processing (via my normal workflow).

I should add that this combo is not easy to focus and requires good light, a very steady hand (no OSS here), and a fast shutter to avoid vibration considering that this is effectively a 128mm lens.

I would not recommend using this combo on a tripod (especially on the a5100) because the lens is so heavy a significant moment arm results in the cantilever configuration. That glass is as heavy as it looks!

• Like Like x 3
  2. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Not sure I agree on the lens being a total waste on APS-c DSC01792 th.
    A6000 @ISO3200 and 1/320sec

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  3. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    Sorry to stray from your topic, but I am intrigued by the quick release devices at the end of your straps. I'm looking for a solution for quick removal/change with security the top priority. What specifically are they and do they serve you well ?

4. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I didn't say "total" waste. I said "gigantic" waste (but even that may have been an overstatement). It is a very heavy lens from which a lot of its light output falls outside the edges of the APS-C sensor. If you don't mind carrying that around (and being careful how you handle it), it can work very well.

5. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I knew someone would ask about that, and to avoid further distractions rdfisch, I will PM you with the details.

• Like Like x 1
  6. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Yes Its heavy and difficult to use but then again I find all fast glass somewhat difficult and youre right in saying it feels better on fullframe, a lot. :)
    DSC01682th.

Im really not good at this :sorry:
    A6000 @ISO5000 and 1/1000sec

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I like the active shot above soeren. Well done!

8. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Thanks Tom
    I have really grown to admire the sports photographers who just nails those Gymnasts in the right position. d... its hard to do.
    If you look closely youll see only her feet are sharp the rest falls out of focus

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Could you then please PM me too? I'm looking for such a solution as well :).

10. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I understand completely Soeren. To catch the action you need a fast shutter, and to get that fast shutter you need to crank up the ISO as well as open the diaphragm, and with that open diaphragm, your depth of field falls off the cliff! You did very well in that particular image. Keep at it and good luck.

11. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    OK Guys, since there have been a couple inquiries and there may be more, I'll post it publicly (and hope I am not violating any forum rules).

The clip is known as "Le Hook". If you Google it you will find a few links, but they all lead back to a European source/manufacturer. I can't find any other manufacturer. These things aren't cheap and since at some point they are being shipped from Europe, that adds to the cost. They are about $20 (USD) per piece minimum and there is a percent of the final cost to cover the shipping cost. There may be a cheaper way to get them, and if you find one, keep us posted.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 3