• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

I had the opportunity to compare a Huawei P30 to my A7

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
Quite surprisingly close

in my view ...: Huawei P30 (a quick look at the camera results)

A7 with Samyang 35f2.8

DSC05362-overview.jpg
   ---            

The P30 is a bit wider
IMG_20190507_142622-overview-3-2.jpg
   ---            

The A7 is slightly better contrast looking at a 100% segment

a7-p30-center.jpg
   ---            

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
Slightly? ... It’s no contest to my eye.
well to me considering that this is a phone and not even anything like the sensor size I think its amazing that you have to pixel peep the thing to make it obvious.

I would expect at 8x10 size you'll be unable to tell.

Like I said in my blog post, I don't think I'll be eschewing the A7 for this phone, but there is little doubt its a massive step forwards for phone cams.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
It hardly takes pixel-peeking. My first-glance impression was that the P30 was brighter, and yes, more contrast. But isn't that the result of less dynamic range? Not to mention that detail.

But would I mind having that phone camera in my pocket? Nope. I think I'd be very happy.

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
It hardly takes pixel-peeking. My first-glance impression was that the P30 was brighter, and yes, more contrast. But isn't that the result of less dynamic range? Not to mention that detail.

the P30 certainly makes different exposure decisions, and I would say most certainly that it has a lower dynamic range to deal with is something significant (as you mention).

But would I mind having that phone camera in my pocket? Nope. I think I'd be very happy.

Phones have drastically influenced my photography. I always think of the adage of "the camera you have with you is the best camera you have", and having tried many times over the years to always have a camera with me, I've found my phone is now that camera.

In tests I found that my older 2016 Oppo F1 phone to be very close to equal to a m43 camera (except in dynamic range). I wanted to make these tests to see exactly what I was giving up but being lazier with camera carry. In this blog post I compared two phones other to my A7 and the differences between them are much more stark than the P30

A7 Samyang 35f2.4 vs R11s (coverage difference in red)
R11s-A7.jpg
   ---            

and peeped
3%2Bcompared.jpg
   ---            

which to me made clear that the problem is also the JPG engine ... not just the DR or other systems, as the R11s is a better bit of hardware than the F1

Sadly however fewer phones come with DNG and probably fewer know how to use it.

However one just can't get images like this with a phone ... probably ever
dsc04781-01-jpeg-jpg.jpg
ILCE-7    ---    NANmm    f/NAN    1/1500s    ISO 1000

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Phone cameras have definitely come a long way, especially if it's a major selling feature of a particular model phone. But not all of the middle of the road phones have cameras that are exceptional. I rank them slightly below the better point and shoot cameras. Would I spend $1000 on a phone just for a superior camera? Probably not. As I don't even have a justification to invest in a new phone. (Sick and tired of the cost and annoyance of robocalling.) Conveniences always mean compromises.
The phone does eliminate the need to carry a (point-n-shoot) camera. And if social media is important, then connection and access is desired. But personally, I've drifted away from that superficial realm. No more Facecrook or Instaspam. And the instant connection and instant gratification culture has its drawbacks. (I've actually had one social media contact lose his cool because I didn't respond in a 'timely' manner to an online message. I was away for the weekend shooting.)
I guess I'm getting off on a tangent, but as good as cameras may get on phones, it's still supposed to be a communications device first and foremost. For my personal enjoyment, I prefer my dedicated camera equipment. Even if I had money to burn, I don't see myself buying the latest multi-lens smartphone. $1200 smartphones, like $1000 travel tripods, are just hard to justify and a false investment, IMO. Just my personal philosophy.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I’ve managed to squeeze much better photos from my phone (shooting raw) than I ever thought possible. And I bet that the image in @pellicle’s post above will be within the capability of some future phone camera. Just the way computational photography is changing what’s possible with these small sensors and lenses, who knows what optical fantasy might soon be commonplace?

And unlike Will, I’m a sucker for the next step in phone camera tech. No doubt I’ll be throwing money at Apple this fall when the chimerical three-camera iPhone goes for sale. Because that’s the camera I always have with me.

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
... $1200 smartphones, like $1000 travel tripods, are just hard to justify and a false investment, IMO. Just my personal philosophy.
My Oppo F1 was AU$250... I personally won't go over $500 for a phone (so I hear ya)
IMG20190220182523-01.jpeg
OPPO F1f    ---    3mm    f/2.2    1/115s    ISO 100

Latest threads

Top Bottom