1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I got yet another Nifty ! (Super Takumar 50/1.4)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Oct 15, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Snatched it at a pretty good price off French eBay. Condition is not mint, it's just nicely aged. Glass is clear and it works well.
    Was thoroughly underwhelmed this morning doing my usual walk-around-the-house laundry basket and coffee mugs shots (my daughter was already off to school, and she's my star model). Aside from the wondeful operating feeling absolutely up to its reputation, I failed to see how it brought anything to the table over my FD or OM 50/1.8 (I also have the Hex 50/1.7 but it's below in sharpness). I was content to sell it back right away, maybe even with a small margin.

However, after taking it tonight for a spin, I changed my mind. I just stopped it down to 1.8 and let it roll. Here's the first shot I like, will update as I process. There is NO sharpening on this one. None.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

I find contrast to be really nice. Once you've located the focus ring (I kept turning the aperture ring at first !) by feel, the dampening is absolutely wonderful, and the lens "peaks" very easily, making it a breeze to get critical focus even at very large apertures.

2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I love my Super Takumar. Once you get used to the focus ring turning the opposite direction and stop it down a touch it starts to shine. That image is gorgeous.

3. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ok, I'm done for tonight's shoot (about 15 minutes, tops, it's late when I get home and I have to rush her to bed). The lens is very contrasty, which makes it absolutely great for B&W. In-to-out of focus transitions are pretty smooth and satin like. Sharp details like hair and lashes, pupils, are very well detailed and beautiful.

1c8ba75700af6bd219a06ed6d508a965_e63.

Those are flash pictures. I have made this little dinky DIY reflector set-up, since the hotshoe adapter I purchased in hope to use my trusty SB-600 didn't work and was returned and refunded.

2d0b74b549a3a037a2826e842e92f857_3de.

I use ISO400 and have no noise to deal with whatsoever. I'll still have to assess how the lens delivers in available light.

fdac89ccf721be14684e208b810e8c86_e63.

The lens in color. It has a VERY strong yellow cast (which I countered here with my Kelvin setting), making me thing it does have Thorium. I will research and perform de-yellowing asap.

debc30c96d77bb342931bc499a48f8b5_ff2.

I'm very happy with this portrait :
    61e34ba9799a42531ea4a55e258cc0e9_e63.

45267c456f29672f0da740b64b2f0fa8_e63.

Background blur is not nearly as pronounced as I would expect at these settings (1.8) but I still like the general impression of the lens.

This is a nearly unprocessed shot, close to original size (resized from original Large JPEG to 25x25cm at 240dpi (though I get a bigger image in my PS window that shows here). NO sharpening at ALL :

7fb1e86cb9afa2e162c0fdb844342bac_ff2.

And a last one in daylight this morning :

4c1d74256f1fab58c7b0e2bcf3beb9ea_83f.

Let me know what you guys think.

4. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I really like these shots, another great find.

Which hotshoe adapter did you try? I was really hoping this one would work with a wireless trigger for some off camera stuff I want to try. It was the only one I could find any reviews of on youtube that showed a working setup.

JJC MSA-10 HOT SHOE ADAPTER FOR SONY NEX 3 5 5N NEX3 NEX5 FLASH TRIGGER REMOTE | eBay

5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I found after the fact that what I'd bought was indeed a "cold shoe", so obviously couldn't work. I don't really have the issue since I pre ordered the 6, partially for the standard hotshoe. The one you link to, however, looks like it has electrical contacts, hence should fork.

6. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Oh, OK, that makes sense then. I'm hoping that adapter will work, the other creations with a bunch of things taped to the Sony flash for off camera really messes up the aesthetics of a small frame camera. Sorry for the slight thread-jack. :)